powerfull new pump

rdk

Reaction score
I had to buy a new water pump this spring and whet one step higher. From a 950 gph to a 1250 gph. My pond size is form 500 to 600 gals Did I go up to high? The 950 gph was not working right even though I cleaned the filler and hose this past fall. I find that I am needing to retop off the pond. Am I losing water due to evaporation from waterfall speed? Can I use a lamp dimmer on the pump to drop down the speed of the pump? Please let me know. Thank you. RDK

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rather than restrict the pump, put a T in your line and have some of the water just flow back into the pond not down the waterfall.
With the increased speed you may have a overflow spot in your waterfall you did not have before. Look real carefully for any area that is wet and should not be.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
- How much are you retopping? It might be that you have a leak somewhere. Can you give us some more info on your set up and maybe some pics?
- I don't think you need one that size, but pump size shouldn't have any bearing on leakage due to waterfall speed.

rdk

Reaction score
Will this higher pond pump harm the fish or should I just buy another new 950 gph pump that works better.and replace the new 1250 gph pump that I just put in? The waterfall is 12" high, 8" wide 30 gal white barrel filter with 2" hoses. Will look for leaks. Thank you for your help. RDK

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It may be, considering your waterfall dimensions, that the input from the pump (into the 30 gallon barrel) is greater than the outflow from the barrel. You may be losing water as it is overflowing from the barrel. The pump you've got is overkill, but it shouldn't really matter.

Don't put a "dimmer" on the pump, they're not meant to be "variable speed". Like Addy said, just divert some of the flow underwater so that the full pump output doesn't reach your waterfall.

You may have had some "shifting" of your waterfall during the freeze-thaw cycle. Remove all your stones down to the liner, turn on the pump and see if you're losing any water due to liner sag or shift.

Good luck....I don't feel sorry for you at all. We're supposed to get 2.5" of snow tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
NO DIMMERS! I need you can reduce the flow on the output side of the pump with a ball valve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Naaaaah, you are ok! The pond I just built is 500 Gallon and I use a Pondmaster 950gph for my 2 spillways and a Beckett 650gph for bottom circulation.

The 3 small ponds I have built all have been AT LEAST 2x flow rate per total gallons an hour. The fish love the current, just make sure you have a calm spot somewhere where they can chill for a bit :cigar:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Like I do but you could do it on the bottom if you want it would really aerate the pond .Maybe that pump purchase was the I want a bigger pond .I just use a T connecter and clamp my hose on it tight .Cheaper than looking for parts.If it does not hold just put a short piece of pvc pipe in it and clamp the hose to the pipe

Attachments

• pond march 21 2014 008.JPG
    pond march 21 2014 008.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 202
  • pump and hose connectors 008.JPG
    pump and hose connectors 008.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 224
  • pump and hose connectors 011.JPG
    pump and hose connectors 011.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 197

rdk

Reaction score
Do you have plans that I can use to make this T adaper? Can I do this with my large 2" hose? You know I set up my new large pump in nice 50% wheather and than that night the waterfall froze 50% solid. I shut it off in the morning. After that the weather warmed up and I ran it again, that when I notice this water loss,so maybe something inside the water did get shifted by the ice. Thanks again. RDK

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all it is is a pvc T connector I bought at lowes .The pieces would have to fit your 2 inch hose as the connector i bought was a 1 1/2 inch connector

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't agree with getting the T-valve and diverting some of the flow underwater.

First of all, you'd be wasting electricity. Why pay for all that electricity that's powering a 1250gph pump when you're only going to use 950gph of it? It's like buying a 12oz cup of coffee and throwing 1/3 of it away.

Secondly, I also don't like a powerful stream of water underwater. Depending on where it jets, it might be stirring up sediment or such, which you don't want. And extra connectors decrease efficiency.

Thirdly, I have a pump that's rated for 500-1000g ponds and my pond is 800g. I don't go 2-3x. I put myself in the position of the fish. It's like I'm living in a nice pond just enjoying myself and there's this powerful flow of water trying to suck me into the pump.

I just want to eat my fish food, poop, swim around and procreate once in a while. But this giant stream of water is making me miserable all day. Humans, why you do this to me? And if you divert the extra gph underwater it's even worse, not only do you have a giant stream of water pulling you into the pump, you've got a jet of water coming at your face too.

Just imagine as a human every time you walk out the door you have a 30mph wind pulling you one way and a 20mph wind coming another direction.

Finally, if you're gonna keep the pump, might as well make use of that extra gph and maybe divert it to another filter or waterfall. It's pretty easy to make one and this way, you'll be adding filtration and aeration to the pond, which is always good.

rdk

Reaction score
Where do I cut in with the T? Next to the barrel out flow hose or under water at the water pump? Making an extra waterfall sounds great and beats buying another pump. Now do I continue to run the pump or shut it down untill I make these changes? RDK

Reaction score
If I had a pump that was pushing too much water for my filter to handle, what I would do is split the line and run 2 filters. I would be sure to slpit the line under water. That way, if one of the connections comes apart, the water will be released back into the pond. If you have the connection out of the water and a connection comes apart, you could drain the pond.

May I ask... what do you mean "the 950 gph pump was not working right"?

Reaction score
I had to buy a new water pump this spring and whet one step higher. From a 950 gph to a 1250 gph. My pond size is form 500 to 600 gals Did I go up to high? The 950 gph was not working right even though I cleaned the filler and hose this past fall. I find that I am needing to retop off the pond. Am I losing water due to evaporation from waterfall speed? Can I use a lamp dimmer on the pump to drop down the speed of the pump? Please let me know. Thank you. RDK

RDK,

Hello from Gordy.

I am not sure why you are losing water, but I wanted to address your question regarding using a lamp dimmer to adjust the speed of the pump. This should not be done. The lamp dimmer may not handle the electrical current which the pump motor requires and the pump motor may not be able to survive the low voltage or the converted electrical waveform. The pump motor would probably overheat due to UNDER VOLTAGE or improper electrical waveform characteristics. The dimmer control would probably just burn up. Neither components are designed to operate together.

There are AC motors which you can control (their speed) via a VFD Variable Frequency Drive and DC motors which you can control (their speed) with a simple variable voltage drive. However, most common pond pumps are only designed to operate on a set frequency and voltage, there are few adjustment options allowed. They tend to operate at fixed speeds and if you vary the voltage or the frequency, they really don't slow down or speed up much. What they tend to do is build up heat and burn up the internal windings. The enamel insulation on the motor windings melts and then the windings short together and you get smoke and a very pretty fire. Copper burns with such pretty colors, but it tends to smell really bad. :)

You are best off routing the excess water flow to another pond function as opposed to restricting the flow (intake or outlet). Restricting the flow only makes your pump work harder and that can cost you extra money on electricity and be a greater physical load on the pump mechanics which could lead to early failure, too.

Gordy

rdk

Reaction score
I found the water leak,.It was a big one. The ice must have broke a pease of the hose. I already put in a 2" Y spliter at that point and clamped on my my extra 2" hose that I had, to the side of the pond. I found that by rasing or lowering the side hose I can greatly control the force of both waterfalls. Top off the pond and now will see what happens tomarrow morning. Thank you for your help. RDK.

Ask a Question