Prevent Pump Hose From Clogging

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is possible that the rough surface inside that hose is allowing "snot" to build up on the interior. Almost like plaque building up inside an artery, blocking blood flow. Once a small piece grabs hold, it will start to collect quickly I would imagine.

And you're probably right - a pre-filter probably won't help.

I agree with those who have suggested to skip the "pond hose" - it's cheap and will crack and split easily on you. If you're going to all the trouble to replace, use Flex PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I spent much of today cycling to a couple of local hardware stores and searching online for a suitable hose for my pond. I couldn't find anything available locally. The following is available from Amazon US and will ship to Thailand (for more than the hose costs). Would this be a reasonable replacement for my pond's garden hose?

Tetra 1" Pond Tubing

View attachment 150804
No!
Don't get that garbage.
I love Tetra products, but that hose is horrible. I know from experience.
It won't last very long. Its thin and will spring leaks a d split open.
Flex pvc is what you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
If you’re going to pay for shipping, don’t get that. Get flex pvc.

Can you provide me with a link to something you think appropriate?

Amazon has this: Alpine 1" x 25 Ft..., but the cost to me would be about US$120.

A local importer has this: RS Pro 10m.... Again, the cost to me would be about US$120.

Are you certain this is going to fix your problem, though?

Absolutely not.

I still don't know what causes the problem or why I seem to be the only one experiencing rapid biofilm (?) buildup only in the hose and nowhere else in the pond.

It's been 15 years now and I'm out of ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
Yep, that’s the stuff I was thinking of. Know that flex pvc has a spiral to it and it’s not perfectly smooth inside like rigid pvc.
Now I need to convince myself that a new hose will solve the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Now I need to convince myself that a new hose will solve the problem.
The prices have gone up a bit.
When I bought my schedule 40 black 1-1/2" flex PVC from Amazon it was $50 (US) for 25 feet.

I still believe it's the best hose you can buy.
But, if you want to experiment with something less costly and locally available, maybe try this:

If you have a hardware store or a home improvement store near you, a lot of them sell that clear hose by the foot. There's usually two types, totally clear and reinforced. I would buy the reinforced one. Probably 1".
Try that and see what happens. It will cost you a fraction of the cost of the flex PVC.
If it works out, either keep it or get the flex PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
That's always the question, isn't it? If I go to all this trouble and it still doesn't work, THEN WHAT!

Has a stronger pump been suggested?

Yes, I have tried various sizes of pumps including a powerhouse with a ten meter head. The massive pump did extend the time between required hose reaming, but was a bit much for my fountain. It didn't last long either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
But, if you want to experiment with something less costly and locally available, maybe try this:

If you have a hardware store or a home improvement store near you, a lot of them sell that clear hose by the foot. There's usually two types, totally clear and reinforced. I would buy the reinforced one. Probably 1".
Try that and see what happens. It will cost you a fraction of the cost of the flex PVC.
If it works out, either keep it or get the flex PVC.

Yes, the reinforced clear hose is readily available. Maybe I'll give that a shot before I spring for the flex PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
The problem with a clear or transparent hose is if exposed to sunlight, it will clog with algae quickly.

Well, then, I'm SOL. An opaque flexible PVC hose costs almost twice as much as a transparent one. I'm not willing to spend that much. Time to give up and resign myself to reaming the hose every few days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, then, I'm SOL. An opaque flexible PVC hose costs almost twice as much as a transparent one. I'm not willing to spend that much. Time to give up and resign myself to reaming the hose every few days.
Spray paint or wrap the new hose block the light

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The colored pipes are usualy more money as they are quick and easy identifying what is in the pipe also it can also ber made to deal with that colors option like green as nitrogen yellow for gas red for fire supply line etc

Ask a Question