(probably stupid question ) skimmer

Reaction score
Hey all,

so I was just wondering how does a skimmer with the rest of the pond items work ?

I have filters and pumps in my ponds but skimmer seems very interesting since my ponds are under trees.

Is the skimmer a filtration system in itself ? Can it be added to a filter already installed in the pond ?

I'm sorry if that question is dumb (I'm really a beginner we got our ponds with the house) ... I now about what I have but I've seen videos of skimmers and I feel like it might have been a better option for us since we have all the trees.

Thx a lot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
From what I know (I am pretty new and don't have a skimmer) they are completely seperate from your filter. It is basically a box with the inlet just at the surface of the pond water with a pump inside. The pump pulls the water from the top also pulling any nasty floating things in the box. Then the pump can be hosed to outlet in a filter or a falls or directly back in your pond. Not sure where all the skimmed debry goes, probably have to empty it out of the skimmer. Probably a pretty helpful addition to a pond under trees.

I am sure some of the much more knowledgable people on the subject will chime in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depends on if you buy a skimmer/filter set up, submersible pump in the filter box, water is pulled through the skimmer through some filter material by the pump

I use a skimmer, my pump is external, the water is drawn into the skimmer via piping that goes to my external pump. The skimmer has a leaf basket to catch any debris.

Reaction score
pecan thx a lot for your help :) I guess it's a hard world to figure out as beginners (I'm still a little lost lool ).
addy so you have a skimmer but no filter ?

I have submerged filters and submerged pumps I could replace the submerged filters by skimmers then ?

Attracting water to send it to the pump and I would just have to empty a basket ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a skimmer, my external pump draws the water through the skimmer, the water goes through a leaf basket and is then pumped into my bog which is my filter. The skimmer has a leaf basket which will collect any large stuff before it goes though the pump.

I don't use submerged filters or pumps. They do make skimmers that have a filter built into them and the pump sits in the skimmer. I have never used one like that.

Just drawing the water through a leaf basket does not filter it, it is more for collecting large debris to keep it out of the pump.

The ones that use the skimmer filters will have to speak about how well or not well they do.

Ask a Question