Protecting Natural Log from Water Damage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know the best way to protect a natural log from water damage? We have a spillway that sits behind a natural log and the water runs over the log. The log is now becoming damaged. I didn't know it would be a problem because the same tree/log has sat in the creek for decades and has not fallen apart, but apparently it doesn't like the flowing water.

I can't seem to find any information online, but I've seen many logs in people water features or even used as the feature/fountain.

Please see attached pictures.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230803_101746.jpg
    20230803_101746.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230729_110245.jpg
    20230729_110245.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Might depend on whether it is constantly underwater, I could not quite tell from the pictures if the whole log is underwater. If it is exposed to air then it will rot, or you get insect damage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Might depend on whether it is constantly underwater, I could not quite tell from the pictures if the whole log is underwater. If it is exposed to air then it will rot, or you get insect damage.
Thanks. I'm thinking I'll need to run a pond liner over it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks. I'm thinking I'll need to run a pond liner over it.
If it's structural and already rotting, that might be a bad idea, as the rot will just be hidden and it will not hold up over time (it will keep rotting under the liner). You may want to replace it with a different material (not wood), or at least a fresh log that isn't actively deteriorating (one that wasn't previously waterlogged) before covering the waterfall area with a liner. If you're covering it with a liner so no water touches or passes over the bare wood, you could probably safely use a treated wood, like a fence post.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A log that far gone is way past salvage at least on the outer edges. You could get aggressive with the log and see if there is anything left that i solid. If not then i would vote to replace it you're wood looks like it's even mast being mulch and is closer to peat. i have a tree stump in the pond that if touched would fall apart to a degree. It sits in the water and is basically left alone with the exception of the koi nibbling at it.

Ask a Question