protective net on pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi everyone! I had to replace my pump and the new pump came with a net that ties around it to keep debris from getting into it. When looking at it this morning I noticed that the net was getting covered in algae that is floating around. Is it going to be worth keeping the net around the pump if I have to keep taking it off to spray it clean? Or should I even worry with using it.

My pond is clear but still has green algae on the bottom and sides so that really isn't a concern. Beside with 112 degree weather I'm just tickled that my pond is as clear as it is!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I tried keeping a net around mine but it clogged up so much and I got tired of dragging it out all the time to clean it off so just took a big black plastic plant pot and took some stiff fiber filter material that lets water through and cut it round to fit the bottom of the pot so the holes would be covered and stuck the pump in and then put another piece of the stiff round filter stuff on top of the pot so it fit tightly w/o floating away and made slits for the cord and tubing to exit out the top and sunk her down in the pond and it's good to go. I left a big space in between the top of the pump and the underside of the filter stuff so water could circulate well. It does collect some gunk on the top but I have not cleaned it off since I put it in there around April or May and the flow from the pump to the falls is running full force as usual. Oh and tied a rope on the pot so I could pull it up easier in case I need to clean it etc.
Here's a photo of the stuff I used for the fiber rounds. I used the black stuff cuz thought the green would let more particles through and maybe even tiny fishies:

IMG_3860.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to try something also fish tear off pieces of roots and they keep clogging the filter .i am now making window screen cozies bigger that the pots to put my plants in and maybe resolve this problem .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought it up the road at a pond store place. I know they sell it online but can't really tell you where exactly. Maybe someone else here can help w/ that info. Ok I just went and looked on the net and found this but you can do a search and find other places using what they call the product..........Fiber Filter Media.
http://www.watergard...er-Filter-Media

Ask a Question