Pump Configuration

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just joined, and while not new to pond ownership and management, I do know I have a lot to learn. I joined to find advice on my current setup, which was prompted by bear problems. We went from a 700 gallon pond, flexible liner, Pondmaster mag drive 950 (behind skimmer in pond), waterfall, skimmer, bio-filter at the waterfall, plants, breeding fish...to a 100 gallon pond, hard (Rubbermaid) stock tank, same waterfall/stream setup, exterior Pondmaster 950 behind skimmer setup. I'm seeking advice, because the pump is just not lasting. This and the previous pump became noisy, a bearing going out sound, rattling, high pitch sound. We're on our second pump this summer, and it's not because the bear is back. My short search indicates there may be cooling issues with the exterior pump location, but am looking for ideas on how I might reconfigure next spring. We're headed into winter now, the fish have stopped eating, the pond debris is cleaned up, the pump is off, and we're covered to keep the leaves and needles out. At the onset of winter, freezing temps, fish stop eating, leaves and debris in pond, install deicing/aeratoin device I typically put the pond to rest. Thanks for letting me be part of this, and for any and all advice you may have. Best, Peter

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pondmaster mag-drive 950 pumps may be use submerged or in-line (exterior). It contains no bearings, but an impeller set in bushings. If debris is allowed to penetrate the impeller area the impeller shaft and possibly the bushings will become scoured greatly affecting the pumps performance and noise level. What type of skimmer set-up is this pump pulling water through? Does it have filter pads to collect fine suspended debris?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pondmaster mag-drive 950 pumps may be use submerged or in-line (exterior). It contains no bearings, but an impeller set in bushings. If debris is allowed to penetrate the impeller area the impeller shaft and possibly the bushings will become scoured greatly affecting the pumps performance and noise level. What type of skimmer set-up is this pump pulling water through? Does it have filter pads to collect fine suspended debris?

Thank you for your prompt reply. The skimmer is attached to the side of the pond liner, on the exterior, it has a removal basket for larger debris, and has two layers of filter cloth/pads below that before water flows downstream to the pump through a 3/4" pvc line to the pump. The pads have a tendency to fil/clog with algae between cleanings (I do use barley products to help with algae control), which I typically do about once a week when I notice a decline in flow. My guess is the pump may be overheating by the time I get to cleanings, but am also wondering if my plumbing is a contributing factor. I'm also thinking my filter medium might be too fine. It's a double density material with a coarse and fine layer. Under the old configuration, the larger pond, same skimmer, the pump was submerged, we used a single density, more coarse layer of filter pad, the same pump lasted a good two years, and cleaning the skimmer was less regular. I may be answering my own question here, but do appreciate your thoughts. Best, Pete

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for your prompt reply. The skimmer is attached to the side of the pond liner, on the exterior, it has a removal basket for larger debris, and has two layers of filter cloth/pads below that before water flows downstream to the pump through a 3/4" pvc line to the pump. The pads have a tendency to fil/clog with algae between cleanings (I do use barley products to help with algae control), which I typically do about once a week when I notice a decline in flow. My guess is the pump may be overheating by the time I get to cleanings, but am also wondering if my plumbing is a contributing factor. I'm also thinking my filter medium might be too fine. It's a double density material with a coarse and fine layer. Under the old configuration, the larger pond, same skimmer, the pump was submerged, we used a single density, more coarse layer of filter pad, the same pump lasted a good two years, and cleaning the skimmer was less regular. I may be answering my own question here, but do appreciate your thoughts. Best, Pete

Without getting into other issues that you may be experiencing in your pond, the point should be emphasized that the debris basket/net and pads in a skimmer are there for the express purpose of filtering out suspended solids to first, protect the pump and secondly, to minimize any clogging of the biofilter.
That being said, if a pond has a high level of suspended solids,(algae, detritus, etc.), the filtering elements in a skimmer will load more frequently and consequently should be cleaned more frequently, often daily and sometimes, depending on the pond's location and other factors, multiple times per day.
Barley products, when they do work, are only effective on certain species of algae. It is much more effective to control the nutrient levels in the water through a prudent feeding regime and the placement of a sufficient number of aquatic plants.
Ultrafine filtering materials should never be placed where they can restrict the flow of water to a pump as this can easily lead to a pump overworking, over heating and experiencing early failure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Without getting into other issues that you may be experiencing in your pond, the point should be emphasized that the debris basket/net and pads in a skimmer are there for the express purpose of filtering out suspended solids to first, protect the pump and secondly, to minimize any clogging of the biofilter.
That being said, if a pond has a high level of suspended solids,(algae, detritus, etc.), the filtering elements in a skimmer will load more frequently and consequently should be cleaned more frequently, often daily and sometimes, depending on the pond's location and other factors, multiple times per day.
Barley products, when they do work, are only effective on certain species of algae. It is much more effective to control the nutrient levels in the water through a prudent feeding regime and the placement of a sufficient number of aquatic plants.
Ultrafine filtering materials should never be placed where they can restrict the flow of water to a pump as this can easily lead to a pump overworking, over heating and experiencing early failure.

Mr. Jordan, thank you, very informative, and well advised information that should serve well and into the future. Sounds like I need to order some new bushings, and adopt some new filtration and algae management practices. Best, Peter

Ask a Question