Pump filter clogs up quickly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My small foam filter on my pump clogs up quickly. Every other day or so I will see that water has stopped flowing down the waterfall. Then I need to pull up the pump from the depths, spray clean the filter, re-install, drop back into the water (I crushed a fish doing this!) and then I can provide water to the now suffocating bacteria in the filter once again.

So, I just removed the filter and let the screen keep out the big stuff, but that lets some small leaf matter into the pump, now a good long term solution.

Any ideas?

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
What kind of filter do you have? Will it handle the small matter getting through? If not setting up a small mechanical filter in line before your other filter may help.

rdk

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my box filter last Spring. They are junk, and they don't work. Make yourself a filter from plans on this web site like I did and you will not be sorry. Do it this Fall or Winter and set it up this Spring. RDK

Reaction score
The foam filter on the pump wil clog every other day. I had the same issue on the pump the runs my uv. I just pulled out the foam left the plastic cage to keep large stuff and fish from getting sucked in. Has worked great for months now with now issues with the pump

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That means it is doing it's job. I have to clean one of my pump sponge filters that circulates water into a nursery every day.

Reaction score
Nothing really to add on that they pretty much said it all. I use to have one and still do however i had it in the middle of my pond and couldnt get to it as easily so i took it out and bought a different pump, if you are trying to avoid this then just keep doing it and it will keep your water clean

~marino~

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not just to state the obvious..but.. buy or build a larger prefilter (prefilter being any filter that is before the pump) tetra makes a couple that are of decent size, i use 2 of the larger ones myself. they can be fastened right to your pumps intake or plumbed away (remotely) from the pump as i do. mine are plumbed on 1&1/4" sump pump hose and located in different spots, so as to draw water from different areas. this eliminates dead spots in the pond and greatly extends the time in between cleanings.

Ask a Question