Pump problems or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So, the pump in my skimmer appears to work when disconnected ( and we've cleaned it ) but it isn't pushing enough water to our Sand & Gravel filter. Do pumps loose their power as they fail, or do they die all at once?

We've back washed the filter multiple times and that doesn't seem to be the problem and all connections seems good. If a "quick connect" is occasionally dripping, could that mean it could suck in air, creating a vacuum?

Frustrated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would disconnect it from the filter and see if the water is at least getting out of the hose. It could be that the hose is bad
When we disconnect the pump from the PVC, it pumps water. It's a straight run of PVC pipe to the filter, so no hoses are used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Howdy... does you S&G filter have a bottom cleanout drain too?
It has a PVC pipe that comes up through the center of the filter. We attach a blower and the air is forced down through the PVC pipe to a perforated ring at the bottom, dislodging the debris and exits the filter through the outlet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Are you using a quick connect fitting designed for a garden hose? That could be the problem, Not air tight.
We 've actually been focused on this connection. It is a large plumbing connection, not designed for a hose. We remain frustrated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies, it helps to bounce ideas off all of you. I talked with AZ Ponds today, thinking I'd need a new pump and Neil said a pump works or doesn't...like your pregnant or not pregnant....no in between. What experiences have any of you had with pumps....do they fail over time, or work correctly until they stop?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was looking online and think the correct term for what I called a "quick connect" is a threaded union. It's used , so pipes are easily connected and unconnected. We're going to pull the pump in the am and check to see if it's O ring is in tact. Fingers crossed that does the trick.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have had various pumps lose power over time, then end up failing or I end up replacing them because they aren’t pumping well no matter what I do to the pump. Can’t remember the brands. It definitely happens, though.

Reaction score
Is you pump a submersible?

When you blow the air into it for cleaning ... is it bubbling like it always has?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm in the "it either works or it doesn't" camp. We've had times that it appears the pump isn't pumping full volume and it's been a plumbing issue both times.

Good luck - I know it's frustrating!

Reaction score
When we disconnect the pump from the PVC, it pumps water. It's a straight run of PVC pipe to the filter, so no hoses are used.
Did you disconnect the pvc where it enters the filter and if so did you get a strong stream of water? If you can't disconnect it you can simply cut the pipe and if the stream is ok glue it back together. The problem would be between where it enters the filter and where it comes out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
OMG, feel kid of stupid ! Hubby and I are like puzzle pieces when it comes to the pond.......I have information on water chemistry and koi keeping and he has the pond mechanics information.

So I mentioned I'd found this black thing by the pond's edge last year while winterizing it. I wasn't sure what it went to, so I put it in a little baggie. Turns out it was the O ring for the threaded union quick connect !! Sadly, the poor filter has been limping along like this all season o_O Boy is that puppy running good now !!! LOL

The good news is I learned more about the pond and hubby said once he gets a few things off his plate, he'll help me put in a small bog for biological filtration, later this summer.

Ask a Question