Pumps off at night

Reaction score
Five months ago, I asked the question about turning off my pumps at night because of the noise.I had seen similar questions from others. It was answered with a resounding NO!
I have come up with a solution for those that share my noise problem. My pond is 5600 gal., has two biofalls and a bog. I have 7500 and a 4500 GPH pumps to the falls and a 2500 GPH pump to the bog. My solution was to add air stones to the biofalls that run 24 hours a day (It's easier that way), run the falls pumps 12 hours during the day with the bog pump off, then turn off the falls and turn on the bog pump. My pond has remained balanced and very clear, adding bacteria every 4 to 6 weeks. I do have to keep an eye on the air stones because the squirrels or raccoons like to play with the bubbling stones!! I finally tucked them under rocks.
Jim

Reaction score
Yes. The concern of no circulation was that the bacteria would not survive. So rather than trying it without circulation, I used the air stones with great success. jim

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have our waterfalls / steams / small ponds on a timer. The bog runs 24/7

Reaction score
wow very nice idea jimbo, i actually have submersed filters and pumps so im just turning off the waterfall and leaving on the filter so that should be ok because it is practically noiseless, and also i think i may add a airstone to the waterfall biofilter and turn it on at night, that could help alot thanks.

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with this...sounds like a good way to save energy too (I'm sure some of the larger pumps you guys use draw a lot of power). I would say keep the bog pump running, but if your method works that is good information to have.

-Ed

Reaction score
Wait, are you calling the sound of rushing water "noise"!? I get upset when I have to shut my bedroom windows and turn on the AC when it gets too hot, because I can't hear my falls. Or are the pumps themselves to loud?

Reaction score
I did not understand the question either back when first posted. How load is it that the neighbors would complain about it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water rushing down a stream I would think is relaxing but then again some people get annoyed by the sound of frogs or crickets at night .My neighbor said something about all the noise the frogs made last summer at my pond and he is down the road .He blamed the noise from the frogs on my pond ,but he has a creek running behind his house .I guess he scares his frogs away:lol::bye2:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My pumps both air and water pump sit right beside my bedroom window, there is an aquarium in the bedroom. No problem with noise, other than the waterfall which is very relaxing. BUT

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats for sure ever sence I put the pond in none of those pesky bugs around here and considering the deseases they carry all the better

Reaction score
You have to realize that just because u like it doesn't mean your neighbors will too, it's always best to ask but it is just common courtesy to respect them and let them enjoy sleep but then again their dog Is so irritating so I think its fair

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Listen I will take a trillion frogs croaking all night to my DH's snoring. He did have surgery and it's quite a bit better but gimme them frogs singing away any day over snoring :rolleyes:
I actually think he has scared all the frogs from coming to my pond :bye2:

Ask a Question