PUMPS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, it's me, TurtleMommy, back again with my next question! I've asked about ELECTRICAL CONSIDERATIONS (since we're going to have to add a circuit), DRAINS, and PRE-FILTERS.

Now I think I want to learn about pumps. At this point, maybe NOT brands so much as TYPES. I've read "submersible" and "non-submersible." What are the pros & cons, and considerations for which type to choose?

Haven't decided on my water volume yet, but will probably be in the 100 or so gal range (?). Haven't decided on a filter yet, either,but wll be needing to clear LOTS of turtle poop (so pump will need to be able to keep up with that). May have a waterfall (if for no other reason than to add extra areation to the water). May or may not have fish, but if I do will just be a few goldies. Probably small chance of ever increasing the size (but you never know...)

Forgot to mention: NW Louisiana where winters are fairly mild, but temps. occas. dip below freezing for a few days or weeks. The turtles will be brumating (hibernating) during that time, but can & sometimes do come out when we'll have a run of 70-80 degree days during the winter. And I might have some fish, too, so would any of that have an effect on type of pump to choose?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
For anything that small, a submersible will do the job nicely; an external pump would be overkill! John

Reaction score
I shopped at Ace Hardware and they had a few pumps, but they were rather high in price and pretty large volume. I would look at what PetMountain has. That is where I bought mine and I bought one of the PondMaster mag-drive pumps. They offer some low volume pumps for $15 (65 gph), $20 (80 gph) and $25 (140 gph). Then all the way up to 2,400 GPH for $170. I think that these are good prices and these can be used in-pond or out (submersible or external).

They are called Mag-drive pumps because there is a magnetic coupling between the impeller and the motor's rotor or shaft. This elliminates the need for a sealed bearing and water can not enter the pump motor at that point, which is a good design. If any debris gets lodged in the impeller, the motor can still turn and it won't burn up.

PetMountain offers several brands and styles of pumps to chose from. Once you figure out exactly what you want to do, you can select the pump that is right for your needs. Check them out and browse the pump selections for ideas. They also have heavy debris handling pumps, but they are big and high price and take a lot of electricity to operate. Not sure you would need anything like that, but you can see what they have.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
northern tool and harbor freight have great prices harbor freight has one for 12 dollars and one for 19 dollars and get the 5 dollar warranty if it poops out they give you a new one no questions asked.I picked up 2 there today and they were on sale for 5 dollars each in the store because the boxes were damaged and the warranty was a whole big dollar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think any thing over 2500 gallons should be pumped with a external pumps The larger the pumps get the more power they use and externals are very efficient.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have to agree with Dodad, under 2500 gallons a submersible is probably better suited for the application, over 2500 you start needing a lot more flow rate and a non-submersible will usually me more energy efficient and pump more volume for the buck.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh and if going with submersible, the harbour freight offers one of the best warranties, Lowes pumps are easy to get as well and have a one year warranty, but cost a good bit more than the harbour freight ones. You want if possible to use a brand that you can get a easy replacement for if one should go down, i don't recommend buying online unless you know you can get a replacement quick. BTW, In my experience, most subersibles last between 2-5 years, a good many non submersible pumps can last 10 years plus.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have some that are over 9 years and are all from harbor freight and I did have one tetra one that only lasted a year .I guess it depends on how well you maintain them and keep them from clogging and overheating .Most of mine did not cost over 30 dollars .The last one I bought was1268 gph and was 22 dollars and then warranty was 5 dollars

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
If your set on submersable pumps, LAGUNA is a great pump...and their 4200gph pump only draws 160 watts ...& every pump under 2900 gph uses 130 watts or less. & 4 year warranty.

Reaction score
I've been running the same Laguna 4200 on the bottom and a Laguna 2900 in my Savio for years without so much as a hiccup. Total wattage combined=290 watts.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate to say but wonder if companies that make the expensive pumps are watching quality I had to take my extra pump over to my neighbors before that stupid savio went out again .She called the toll free number but of course it was a recording.She said she is going to run down to harbor freight and pick one up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can you use a sump pump as a pond pump? I have a nice one siting at my old house in MD and was considering bring it back to OH to use in the new pond set up. Possibly in a gravity fed mechanical filter and then it would pup up to my bio filter abovethe planned new (and larger) pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they are not good at running 24/7 and use a fair amount of electricity

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can find a cheaper pump at harbor freight and I use them and for 5 dollars extra you get a warranty .

This one just went off sale and was 79 and I think now it is 99 dollars

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For what it would cost you to run 24/7 would be a lot also It would probably burn up within a year or two as they are not designed to be run like that.

Ask a Question