QT/HT tank

Reaction score
Yes Dr. Dave, Read your website top to bottom. I added 1 1/2 cups of pond salt to the hospital tank this morning, hopefully he will still be alive and swimming when I get home tonight. I don't see any pineconing (sp?) of the scales, and his breathing does seem to be stressed (at least to my untrained eye). The gills don't open up far enough for me to get a look at them when he is breathing and he doesn't go to the top of the tank to gulp air either. His skin condition did look slightly worse this morning and I am starting to see some cotton like threads on his body ( very small amount). He is swimming ok but appears to be a bit on the lethargic side, but he never rests on the bottom or anything like that. I wish there was an online website that had pictures documenting what the various diseases looked like, it would be a great aid.

Do you perform water changes while doing the salt treatment and adjust the salt accordingly? My concern is the tank has only been running 2 days and has had no time to cycle.

Reaction score
Well, my kh/gh test kit arrived today and here are my results

KH-214.8
GH-off charts........the table goes up to 214.8 You add drops of the reagent to the test tube until the color goes from oarnge to green. This change did not occur until 24 drops...assuming the table is linear this would equate to a gh of 419.

As i am already adding salt to the HT, perhaps I should add softened tap water from inside the house?

I am considering purchasing an RO filter for my pond and doing future ater changes with 50-50 RO and external tap water.

Reaction score
DrDave,

Once you reach the .3 % salt level in the HT tank, how long do you leave the fish in there at that concentration and then do you start doing water changes to bring the level down?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The long term tank should be:
.3% for no more than a week. Reduce to .2% for no more than a week, then down to .1% and you can keep it there indefinetly.
These reductions can be daily to reach the goals and will accomplish your water exchanges at the same time.

Short term, before the above:
I would place the infected Koi and place him into 2% for no more than 10 minutes before going into the .3% solution. While in the 2%, you have to watch him because if he is too weak, he may go belly up before 10 minutes. 10 minutes is maximum and I use a bubbler

All this should be on my web page and the University of Florida site, so if you need clarification and I am not around, go back there and re-read some of it.

All these things needed to be started the minute a problem was noticed to get the maximum effect.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave,

Just a FYI, your website (which is great) only talks about the buildup to the .3% but does't address what you should do and how long you should leave the fish at the concentration once that level is obtained. I will have to double check the florida website as I was using your site for guidance the most.

I must say that I chickened out on the dip at 3%. If the fish rolls over, will it recover from this in a pre-weakened state? Now that my salt concentration is at .3% in the HT tank, should I still perform the dip?

While doing this treatment should I be doing daily water changes to the tank (75 gl) even if I only have one 4-5" fish in there?

What is your opinion on melafix? I know its not a cure all as many use it as, but I here it is good for the healing process. Funny thing about melafix, it would be easy to make your own, and much cheaper.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I need to go back into the pages of stuff and edit them. As time goes by and I read other articles from reputable sources, I learn some of the methodolgy and timing. Dividing my time here and the BBQ Island forums plus maintaining my own ponds and nursery doesn't leave much time for editing the website.
Some of the stuff that is published, leaves you to have to read between the lines.
As for the roll over, that is why you watch them while timing it. If that happens, remove him and immediatly place into the .3% tank. If he is going to recover, he will start to show signs of improvment over the next week.
Some people wait too long to start this process, that is why I researched it and posted it on my web site so others could get to it quickly.
Thanks for pointing that out. I will add that to my "Bucket List". LOL

Reaction score
I understand the busy part for sure, and your help is greatly appreciated as well as your patience. I was asking about the recovery from the rollover, I know the recovery from the sickness will take time. I was worried about actually killing the sick koi in the dip, and if he rolls over, will he recover from that or could it be fatal.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The dip is an extreme measure, that is why 10 minutes is the maximum.

Every fish is different depending on how long you waited to treat them, how strong they are, what ails them, how old they are and so on.

Let me explain it a little different, and please don't take offense, if someone choked you untill you passed out, then let up, would you recover? Chances are yes, unless you had a heart condition, were already too weak or too old.

There are no guarantees in life. You just have to do what you can and hope for the best.

Does this help?

Ask a Question