QT/HT tank

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a used 75 gallon Plexiglass tank for use as a quarantine/hospital tank. Would this suffice? Also, should I set it up just like a normal aquarium with filter, powerhead, gravel, etc? I plan on filling it with pond water...is this right?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
TSC.. Tractor Supply Company sells a 110 gallon stock tank for $60.00 tuff stuff is the brand name if i remember correctly. i'm picking one up for my basement pond filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
could be but i was gonna get one when i bought my 70 gal rubbermade the only difference is they dont have the little tiered levels (shelves)

Reaction score
Ok, I got it, came with 4 powerheads, and 4 filters. Set it up using three power heads and three filters. I have a fish I want to take out of my pond, dammed if I can catch him. After going nearly a week with no ill fish suddenly I have one. Not sure if he is sick or got picked on. Has a pale spot and maybe missing some scales near his dorsal fin. Tank is set-up and as soon as I can catch him I will start with the salt treatment.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I know the feeling. I use 2 nets, One to block and the other to catch. I usuall have to get into my pond to do this.

Reaction score
It's odd, I checked my fish at 3:30 pm and he was fine with no marks. Later the same evening he looked like he had been through hell. Meanwhile other fish show no signs. I did notice my larger butterfly Koi going after him. Is there a sickness that strikes this fast? Do you know of a good sight with pictures that helps identify fish diseases?

I know the feeling. I use 2 nets, One to block and the other to catch. I usuall have to get into my pond to do this.

Yeah, at times lilly pads can be a curse. I am contemplating adding pond salt to the pond, but at this point I have as much invested in the lillies as I do the fish. When and if I do catch the poor guy, should I start with just the salt or would adding something else be adviseable?

Reaction score
FWIW, I filled the tank with 50% tap water (treated) and 50% pond water. I wasn't going to add the salt unitl after I caught the sick fish. It's a bit of an old school tank with undergravel filters and three of those filters that attach to the back of the tank. I was considering removing my 13watt uv clarifier from the pond and using it as a sterilizer on the QT tank..should I?

Reaction score
I would get your water right before adding your fish

Meaning the water in the tank or in the pond? Water in the pond tests fine. Are you saying I should have left the sick fish in the pond? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.......

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your sick fish needs to be in a hospital tank that is ready to start treating him. Use an airstone to provide good areation while treating him.

Reaction score
yes, I placed him in the hospital tank that I set up yesterday, tank parameters matched that of the pond water for temp, Ph, ammonia, and nitrite. Did not test nitrate yet. The only fall back is the tank has not had enough time to build up an good bacteria. I had some quilt batting that i had added to the bio-falls for additional filtration, should I take some of this to jump start the bacteria in the HT tank? Should I let the fish get over the shock of being moved or start adding salt to achieve .1% concentration immediatly? Does anyone know of a good sight to help me identify the ailment. It looks to me like he is the result of getting picked on. His tail fin is a bit chewed up and on top by his dorsal fin is pail-white and maybe missing scales (he is orange and black). I really can't see any cottony type substance on him nor any small white spots like ich.

Ask a Question