Quality Pond lights?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a quality brand submergable hologen pond light (25W). I'm using an Egglite brand and the lense keeps popping out, very poor design.

Any suggestions?

Cheer,

Happy Holidays,

David

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked up some very nice led lights, that produce a lot of light, low wattage. If you call the company direct and buy more than one they will give you a wholesale price. I put them 2- 5 foot down, 15-20 foot wide part of the pond, the fish are lit up beautifully. One is directed towards the underwater camera to turn off the night vision, so the fish have color.

I researched the lights for a few months, chose led due to the inexpensive operating cost, lack of heat output, and the length the bulbs would last.

(Not cheap, but wonderful)

found the link if you are interested.

http://www.mainlandmart.com/ledmart.html

Item number: QL48, Ocean Mist ® Submersible LED light
Ultra bright LED submersible light with replacable LED panel in stainless steel light housing, 45 degree powerful white beam, energy saving less than 20W, low voltage outdoor UL transformer 12VAC/1.7A included.
Brightness in LUX:
18640LUX/1'; 6030LUX/3.3'; 1780LUX/6.6'; 900LUX/10'
Waterproof rate:IP68; Submersible cord length 33'.
Size:7.5"(diameter) x 8"(h)stand.
270 degree adjustable light angle.
Great light for pond, fountain, waterfalls. And it can also be used above water as garden light, trees, statue or wall light.TECHSIN QL-26-1W-12W

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
halogen lights get very hot and I use them only in the winter and use LEDs in the summer and no matter what pond light you buy they seem to need sealing with silicon as they will leak water into them .I use LED's in the summer and I got mine on e-bay also .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the ones I picked up are stainless steel, no leaking so far, they better not .............ow sending back

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I got the LEDS too but I got the 5 light set with the plastic housing

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Addy I found that site about year ago and wondered how well they would work. How long have you had them? Did you get the ones that can change colors?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
after many years of trying multiple brands of submersible lights I've finally decided to quit using them. IMO they make the fish swimm funny, many have issues with leaking, some put of large amounts of heat and others leak out small amounts of stray voltage. I found that outdoor halogen light hung 8-10" over the pond wotk really good for me, they show the fish up better at night, they don't seem to heat the water much but they do heat the air around them and will help reduce the chance of freeze over for those of us in the deep south and the attract bugs for the frogs enjoyment. I want to try LEDS done the same way on the new build and see how they do.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have underwater ones that I had to pull out that I bought at Lowes and they quit working but now they decided to work outside the pond tucked in the rocks and shining out onto the pond. I don't turn them on much except when someone is coming over or am out sitting on the front porch in summer when warm which happens here rarely. Sounds like addy might have found some good ones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sealed the LEDS also as I did not want to find out the hard way they leaked and since i had the silicon anyway why not .The only thing is i found my snails like to work more when it is a little darker and had to move the ones up by the waterfall so I'm not sure how they are going to react to the lights in the pond .I read where they prefer dark to work .So may have to do like JW and just turn them on once in awhile .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy I found that site about year ago and wondered how well they would work. How long have you had them? Did you get the ones that can change colors?

They have been in the pond for about 3 weeks now, very well built, heavy duty, no real heat output that I can notice. They are just white light, I asked them for the brightest ones they have. I did not care for the color changing, this was mainly to see the fish in the evening while watching tv.

after many years of trying multiple brands of submersible lights I've finally decided to quit using them. IMO they make the fish swimm funny, many have issues with leaking, some put of large amounts of heat and others leak out small amounts of stray voltage. I found that outdoor halogen light hung 8-10" over the pond wotk really good for me, they show the fish up better at night, they don't seem to heat the water much but they do heat the air around them and will help reduce the chance of freeze over for those of us in the deep south and the attract bugs for the frogs enjoyment. I want to try LEDS done the same way on the new build and see how they do.

There is no voltage leakage, my hubby the electrician can pick up, ow he would ban me from the pond lol The heat even when on land it not tremendous, I am not home, but will get our infrared temperature reader and check it, when we get back to maryland. I put my hand right on the light, lit up and it did not burn me or even really feel hot. The pond shows not temperature increase with the led lights, the halogen are a different story. the fish do not seem to mind them at all. They just float around. We do not have them on all night just maybe 4-5 hours.

I have underwater ones that I had to pull out that I bought at Lowes and they quit working but now they decided to work outside the pond tucked in the rocks and shining out onto the pond. I don't turn them on much except when someone is coming over or am out sitting on the front porch in summer when warm which happens here rarely. Sounds like addy might have found some good ones.

I did a lot of research for them jw, so far really pleased with how they are working.

I sealed the LEDS also as I did not want to find out the hard way they leaked and since i had the silicon anyway why not .The only thing is i found my snails like to work more when it is a little darker and had to move the ones up by the waterfall so I'm not sure how they are going to react to the lights in the pond .I read where they prefer dark to work .So may have to do like JW and just turn them on once in awhile .

Mine are on a timer sissy, just for evening viewing ow the pond is dark, out in rural md, there is no light down there. I have the lights turn on right before it gets dark so there is not sudden bright light to scare the fish, it is just staying lighter for a while longer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine had a dusk to dawn sensor and you could also set it for 6 or 8 hours also .LED's don't use much electric and give off no heat .I have LED tv's and it says you can run them 24/7 for a whole year and it only cost about 14dollars at least by my rates that is what it would cost .All of my outside lights are LED's and the kitchen recessed and ceiling fans in the whole house are LED.

Reaction score
I've thought about buying underwater lights, but I think it would just be another thing I would have to keep clean.
Are any of you having trouble keeping the lens clean from algae or crud?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only lights that I have that got any muck on them are the ones tucked into the waterfall rocks .The ones underwater were fine and just hang against the side of the liner ,since they give off no heat they are fine .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've thought about buying underwater lights, but I think it would just be another thing I would have to keep clean.
Are any of you having trouble keeping the lens clean from algae or crud?

So far nothing has grown on the lights, the fish groom the camera lens all the time, funny to watch them come up real close and nibble on it.

Ask a Question