Quaraneine tank

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You know, this IS something I need to think about! My QT is set up for goldfish, as that's all I ever planned to add to the pond. It's a kiddie pool that's just at or a little over 100 gals. But I may be getting a couple of koi from Larkin in a month or so. Guessing I need to think about an upgrade!

So, opinions for ABSOLUTE MINIMUM size for a couple of koi [in the foot-long range]. And maybe total gallons isn't the only issue, but also the dimensions since the koi will need more physical room to swim around. I have a DIY TT going in the QT [with a few Rosy Reds], and it does a pretty good job.

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
You know, this IS something I need to think about! My QT is set up for goldfish, as that's all I ever planned to add to the pond. It's a kiddie pool that's just at or a little over 100 gals. But I may be getting a couple of koi from Larkin in a month or so. Guessing I need to think about an upgrade!

So, opinions for ABSOLUTE MINIMUM size for a couple of koi [in the foot-long range]. And maybe total gallons isn't the only issue, but also the dimensions since the koi will need more physical room to swim around. I have a DIY TT going in the QT [with a few Rosy Reds], and it does a pretty good job.
the 60" x 12" plastic pool is pushing it for 12" fish but it can be done. The biggest we did together in the kiddie pool set up was a 14" and a 9" fish together. They were in the basement, so no weather issues, water changes every other day, a 4" airstone disc, and hubby modified the pool to accept a Aquaclear 300 filter. STRESS to put atleast a dozen screws into the top of the pool rim to secure the net WELL ... we lost a 12" fish doing the same thing, but with less screws for the net. The fish managed to find the weak spot:-( The later 2 fish did fine, but they were only in there for 2 weeks before we moved them into the 750 gallon QT ...

I think it would be much better if you can get one of those pools that Koiguy uses...

Reaction score
Everyone seems to agree that 55 gallons is too small. So, what should i be buying for my QT tank. My husband (God Bless him) solved my location problem and will make room for me in the horse barn. Not the tack room but another room well insulated and has heat if I need it. I do not plan on buying a lot of fish but want the ability to if I find one "I just can't live without". Maybe a 150 or 200 gallon?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Maggie, I use a large fiberglass kettle pot as my QT tank, holds 160 gallons. Right now in the pot there are 4 7-8" goldfish, 6- 3-4" koi, 2-3-4" goldfish, 2-10" koi and a 16" koi. Just checked the water parameters this evening, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10ppm nitrates, 104 kh, doing 25% water changes weekly and using the 35 gallon barrel upflow filter I made a few years back. It's crowded, yes, but every one looks great and the last fish was put in almost a month ago. If all looks good Oct. 20th I'm going to pull everyone, take pics and release the three larger koi into the main pond, all the small koi are going to the mud pond for the winter, and the 2 small goldfish are going to the small lily pond.
For the fish I will be pulling for you if you want them they will be a foot or larger including tail. some may be closer to 15" including tail. If I were to get another QT tank I would consider a 300 gallon stock tank. For under $200 at tractor supply they can be used for many different set up, goldfish and koi alike. I have used one to treat a 20" koi. I like the stock tanks cause you can drop the level to keep them from jumping as easy, They are plumbed with a 2" bulkhead in the bottom so a overflow pipe can be set up very easy, along with a drain line. makes medicating easier and cheaper because you can figure out exactly how much water your dealing with and they last for ever.
BTW, one thing I do that I don't know if others do or not, My QT tank stays up and running with fish in it year round so the filter keeps a steady food supply and I feel less stress. IF I did use it for treating a sick fish then I would drain clean sterilize and start over.
Mmathis said:

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
BTW, one thing I do that I don't know if others do or not, My QT tank stays up and running with fish in it year round so the filter keeps a steady food supply and I feel less stress. IF I did use it for treating a sick fish then I would drain clean sterilize and start over.
Absolutely not;-) If I am simply switching MY fish around, yes, I will use the same water, but anything new coming in gets a completely cleaned pond and filter media ... I want to know that the incoming fish are truly in QT. If something goes wrong with the new fish, then I know EXACTLY where to point the finger. A great example would be that batch of babies I got last year, they came with anchor worms ... I didnt catch it for a long time as the temps were down, and when I did, I only spotted, by luck, one attached worm each, on two fish. out of just over one hundred fish. What if I had missed them? Then anything else coming in would have ended up with them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Mmathis said:
I'm curious as to how well this would stay up & inflated -- would it work as a QT outdoors? Just seems like it wouldn't take much for it to "crash."
Mmanthis...i had an intex pool for 7 years, my neighbor, longer. these pools hold up just fine.. my pool was fine when i tossed it. but it wasnt getting used, and buying chlorine, vaccuuming etc..just to have iit sit..... thats where i built the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ours is a purpose built Qt tank with bottom drain, filter sumersible pump veenturie and U/V-C its around 550 gallons its called a shoreham QT tank which are concidered the Rolls Royce of QT tanks here in the UK
The one picture bellow isnt mine but it will give you a great idea what they look like zoom in for details

View attachment Shorham tank.bmp

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Looks like I am going with 150 or 300 gallon rubbermaid tank for my qt. As a Newbie I will be buying filter system. Can anyone tell me the correct size filter Submersible pump that I could use on each size. These tanks have a curved top lip and attaching something of the sides would be difficult. We will be working on getting the area ready this weekend and hope to get tank up and running soon knowing the tank will need to run awhile to get water levels right. Thanks again folks your advice is always appreciated.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
capewind said:
Absolutely not;-) If I am simply switching MY fish around, yes, I will use the same water, but anything new coming in gets a completely cleaned pond and filter media ... I want to know that the incoming fish are truly in QT. If something goes wrong with the new fish, then I know EXACTLY where to point the finger. A great example would be that batch of babies I got last year, they came with anchor worms ... I didnt catch it for a long time as the temps were down, and when I did, I only spotted, by luck, one attached worm each, on two fish. out of just over one hundred fish. What if I had missed them? Then anything else coming in would have ended up with them.
CW, If I see anything then I break it all down. Too many times I am simply moving a fish that I already know a history on and I feel like my chances of stressing it out are far worse in a newly set-up system instead of an established on. I'm not saying it's the best way to do QT it's just what has worked best for me. I do realize there is a certain amount of risk I do take doing this, but I have not lost a single fish other than by predator, or suicide in the last four years. IMO most of the reason I have been this successful so far is two factors, less stress while moving, and less stress while QTing and making sure everyone is clear to go before adding. We are now scraping and scoping both before adding new fish to the QT and again before adding to the display pond.

Reaction score
My point Larkin is you may NOT always see things. Like I said with my example of those nasty little anchor worms. It was by luck that I found them. I think what needs to be defined here is the use of truly treating an area as a QT, or using the same area simply as a holding area. I just feel that it is dangerous for a novice to think it is for the most part okay, as they dont know your experience level, and whether or not you know a history on certain fish.

Reaction score
Got a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub today also pump, filter material and plumbing parts to make a diy tank. Did not get a heater had no idea which way to go in that area. Any Ideas on how to heat this water trough has a place for heater (these I use to keep my horses water from freezing.) Should I go with floating heater or a traditional glass tube heating element? Please advise what you have done in this type of tub. Thanks

Ask a Question