Questions about my new pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got my pond up and running early in the summer. It is approx. 21X15' and 3' at the deepest part with 1' deep shelves around the perimeter. I followed Addy's instructions for building a gravel bog to filter the pond. The bog is completely above ground and about a foot deep with a waterfall into the pond. Although we live on wooded property and get a lot of shade the pond does get at least 6 hours of sun in the summer. I keep two airstones going all the time. After having green murky water for most of the summer the water became very clear about a month ago. I have had 9 minnows in the pond all summer (collected from a nearby stream) and they seem to be thriving. My daughter just added about 10 store bought bait minnows left over from a fishing trip. I have a lot of leopard frogs which are one of my main interests for the pond. I am hoping to see more dragonflies and other insects next summer. I live in zone 6 (Shenandoah Valley of VA). Here are some of the questions I have for all you experienced members:

1) My bog is not fully stocked with plants. The plants I do have do not look all that healthy. They have shown very little growth all summer. I just added some blue flag iris and a second marsh marigold. I have some grass taken out of the nearby stream, some ferns, jewelweed, a water hyacinth, bog bean and a few others. A couple of plants have completely died and the others look pale colored with no new growth. What do I need to do to improve the health of my plants? Since the pond had algae can I assume there are nutrients available? Do I need more fish to fertilize the plants? The water hyacinth in the bog did bloom one time. I'm thinking I will wait till spring to add more plants. Will my plants survive the winter in the completely above ground bog?

2) The plants in my pond have fared no better. Some watercress and duck weed added very early on died. The parrots feather is long and spindly looking (it is in a pot of clay). Water lettuce and hyacinth plants are yellowish with no growth at all over the summer. Even the potted anacharis has looked brownish and unhealthy. Pieces of anacharis constantly break off and are floating all over my pond with long dangling roots. The horsetail is brown, not green. I recently added two water lillies which are looking good, putting out new leaves and even had 1 bloom the first week after I got them. They were potted and had been fertilized by the local seller. I did not add fertilizer tablets since it is so close to fall. I will repot these in the spring using osmocote at Addy suggests.

3) I just bough a potted cardinal flower to plant at the perimeter of the pond. What is the best way to do this? Can I isolate a little area with rocks and fill that with soil inside the liner area to plant in? Should I keep it in a pot and place that in the water near the pond edge? If I plant this at the surface of the pond will it survive the winter?

4) I do not have a skimmer on my pond. The pump is in a 5 gallon bucket lined with filter material as recommended by my local pond store. I am not happy with this arrangement. The bucket is unsightly in the pond. I need to remove it regularly to rinse everything off and the lid is difficult to remove. Tadpoles get sucked into the bucket. Can someone recommend a better setup for my pump without a skimmer? I may add a skimmer in the future, but for now I am happy to net the pond regularly.

5) As the water cleared a light green algae has built up on most of the surfaces of the pond. It is becoming thicker and clumps frequently float to the surface where I net them out. The fish eat this algae and hide in it. Is this normal and desired or should I be trying to remove this?

6) When I remove the pump for the winter how should I store it? Can I leave the black corrugated pipe in the pond? I don't see any other choice since the pipe goes behind the waterfall into the bog and is covered with pea gravel. The check valve does not seem to be working as the bog drains every time I turn off the pump. This will have to be fixed before removing the pump or I will have a dry bog all winter. I'm not sure what the issue is there.

Thank you so much for your help with all my questions. I have already gleaned a wealth of helpful information from this forum and look forward to your responses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
More fish will help your plants. The water, the plants, and the fish all depend upon each other. But in the meantime you can fertilize your plants. You can use tomato or plant spikes - just stick them in the gravel near the roots of the plants in your bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
More fish will help your plants. The water, the plants, and the fish all depend upon each other. But in the meantime you can fertilize your plants. You can use tomato or plant spikes - just stick them in the gravel near the roots of the plants in your bog.

Thank you! That is helpful. I will try the fertilizer spikes, didn't know I could do that. I won't be adding fish before spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The spikes are nice because you can control where they go. Any general plant fertilizer will work - it's just a matter of controlling where the fertilizer ends up. Anything that feeds you plants will feed the algae too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So is the algae covering my pond liner and rocks a problem and will the fertilizer spikes cause it to grow too much? The water is crystal clear.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So is the algae covering my pond liner and rocks a problem and will the fertilizer spikes cause it to grow too much? The water is crystal clear.
The algae growth that is covering the liner and rocks is called Periphyton and is a critical part of the foundation of the pond's eco-system. The fertilizer spikes if overused may cause a burst of planktonic algae growth or 'pea soup' as it is affectionately called by ponders.
Just start off slowly with the fertilizer applications.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog plants did not do real well the first summer, when I had very few fish, since fish load has increased, the bog has matured, the plants have no issue in growing.

Make sure you fix the draining of the bog, when you turn the pump off. Mine stays full of water, freezes solid the plants come back every spring. If I drained it they would die being dry all winter.

Get one of these filters or two, put them on a long piece of hose with a rope tied to the hose. When you need to clean them just pull them out of the pond and rinse off, no need to pull the pump. Get a size that will handle a pump bigger than yours === less cleaning.

I used a large one my 325 gph deck pond pump, did not need to clean it all summer. Made by matala.

upload_2015-9-22_6-9-51.jpeg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I remove the pump for the winter how should I store it?

I only have the small deck pond pump as a submersible, that one I just leave in the pond over winter. I read that others pull them and stick in a bucket of water in the basement, house somewhere.

I have added two small submersibles to use over the winter in my two big ponds with fish, those I will store over the summer, most likely in a bucket of water, somewhere.

Can I leave the black corrugated pipe in the pond?

yes you can leave it in. If you can't get the check valve to work, maybe plug the end of the pipe for the winter to retain water in the bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your replies. Glad to know the algae growing on the bottom and sides is a good thing. I will look into the pre-filter you recommend, Addy. Does that attach directly to the pump? Yes, I will make sure the bog holds water over the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It attaches to the pump with hose and a clamp .Colleen and JW on here both have them .Colleen got hers first and posted how great it was and how easy it was to clean ,The longer the hose the better as addy said then you do not have to pull the pump also ,makes it easier .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over the past few weeks I've noticed several posts, mostly by newbies with a newly set up pond, who have commented that their such & such plants aren't doing anything. As @addy1 stated, and as most of us have discovered, plants don't often do much during their first season -- they mostly work at getting themselves established.

But there have been a few comments regarding water lettuce & water hyacinth (as well as other plants). We have to remind ourselves that it's almost October, and many plants are preparing to go dormant right now. Or as with WL & WH, they are at the end of their life. Even here, in Louisiana, my WH are thinning out, and my water lilies are, are well.

Edit: I accidently hit "submit post" before I was ready, so I apologize in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my wh have not given up and it has been chilly last 2 days .But you are right plants need time as they are plant children .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will look into the pre-filter you recommend, Addy. Does that attach directly to the pump?
Remove the casing and the foam filter that comes with it, put the hose on that intake port

Ask a Question