questions about my pond:converted swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey folks,

I inherited a converted swimming pool/fish pond in 2002. Approx 14 feet wide by 20 feet long. At that time it was a filthy pond with maybe 4 feet of rainwater, lots of debris at the bottom, seething with mosquito larvae. Dept. of Public Health treated the pond with mineral oil for the mosquito larvae. Later, I dumped in lots of mosquito fish and my daughter's 4 comets she won at a halloween raffle.

NowI have dozens of comets, a rescue koi, a rescued red-eared slider and lots of other little black fish I rescued. Everyone is happy-I have MAYBE 3 fish a year die-that is it. LOTS of fish. The turtle has survived 2 winters (no freeze).

I never cleaned the bottom of the pond.

About 10 years ago we installed a pump and waterfall. I'd like to maybe add another pump, as the water COULD be clearer, I think.

I have tried lots of plants to little success. The pond bottom is slanted, making it next to impossible to set pots even in the shallow end-they all slide down. A few of my lilies have bloomed while floating. Water Hyacinths do OK in the little grid I have for them in the middle of the pond, but the fish, turtle, and raccoons eat them when they get loose. I toss duckweed and azola in from time to time-gets eaten.

So, question 1, is how can I get more plants to grow?

Question 2 is I was thinking of going solar this year with the pump, but see from searching this forum that the
140/100 pump I have might not be served well with solar-then there is the issue of night time.

Also, evaporation is a problem in the hot days. AND I live in CA where water is scarce. Wondering about covering the pond with some kind of deflector on the really hot days or...is there a way to make a filter and utilize our grey water to add to the pond?

So, looking for feedback.
Thanks a bunch.

Reaction score
Reducing evaporation is difficult. Covering the surface with a floating mat like they have for pools would cut off a lot of gas exchange, can cause O2 and other gas issues. Waterfall loses a lot so that could be shutdown. Plant respiration can evaporate a surprising amount of water.

I had a swimming pool turned pond in San Jose which I didn't clean for 5 years. Then big mats of decomposing leaves started to float. Pretty big mess.

One thing I've seen people do, and kind of wish I had but didn't. was to dump pea gravel into the pool to bring it up to say 3-4' deep. You can also build up one end with gravel so it's above the water line. That will reduce evaporation. You can plant in the gravel but again, plant respiration.

Grey water into the pond is for sure not a good idea. It also isn't to code and for good reason. You can go the other direction. Use pond water for landscape. You get better water in the pond and the landscape will appreciate the pond water better than city water. You get 2 uses for the same water. Works great here in AZ.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I really want to see a picture of this pool/pond!
Can you use floating islands and anchor them so they don't float to the side for the raccoons to eat? Will they swim out to it?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would love to see more pictures of it. I had a swimming pool built by some in-ground pool builders from toronto I used the pool for a while but then I thought about converting it into a pond. Make sure that you get a good filtration system. It's essential because it removes the waste caused by the fish and the breakdown of plants. The presence of algae will help in supplying enough oxygen in the water for the fishes.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
For plants
You can use pic to raise them up and put them in pots as for the bottom just slant them and way it down with a big rock or two.you can also hang them from the edge.

The more plant coverage
Better filtering
Less evaporation

Turtles are very hard on plants but if you can pot them and get them to grow hardy they can out grow
What The turttle eats.

Ruben

Reaction score
The presence of algae will help in supplying enough oxygen in the water for the fishes.
Well, not really. Photosynthesis does release O2. Photosynthesis is where the plant makes food (sugar). But algae and all plants also consume O2 during respiration when they "eat" the sugar, just like we do. So at night algae is taking O2 out of the water. Since fish need O2 24/7 algae is considered a user of O2 in a pond, not a maker.

Ask a Question