Questions about new filter

Reaction score
I have a large barrel that I am planning on using as a doc filter for the new pond. It is 4' 1" x 2' 6". It will be plummed with 2" pipe, exactly like the doc 55 gallon drum filters. It will be fed off a submersible pump from the bottom of the pond. I have a skimmer that is original from the old pond which is fed from the pond to the 1st filter barrel (55 gallon drum), up the hill to a 2nd 55 gallon doc filter and down the waterfall. This will all remain the same, but because of the rebuild, I now have 10,000 gallons that I need to filter. I'm looking for information on flow rates and size of pump for this size of barrel and if I should just be using a series of 55 gallon doc filters instead? I'm not sure if this big filter will even work, looking for advice. The media will be strapping and deer fencing with filter pads that the koi club uses around here. The tub will sit beside the pond and after seeing the pics of Dr. Dave's filter, I have some good ideas for disguising it. Thanks Dr Dave! I'm wondering how you keep the pump from clogging up while it's supposed to be helping keep the bottom clean? I know it should be suspended from the bottom by 6" (?), but is that enough?

Attachments

• DSCN0490.jpg
    DSCN0490.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 366
Reaction score
You mention that it will flow up hill from one filter to the next...how is that possible without a pump inside the barrel pumping the water to the next barrel?.. I think you need to rethink your design. Why don't you put the 2 barrels next to each other at the top of the hill making a simpler and functional design.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can use one pump to feed filters in different locations, that is what i do
all 4 of my drums are independent from each other .

Reaction score
this filter will be on its own pump from the bottom of the pond.the skimmer is gravity feed to a settling chamber and then pumped up hill to 55 docs which feed the waterfall.the waterfall is already running with the doc filters so i am going to add a second filter system on its own pump.at the top off the waterfall there is no room for this barrel.the new pond is 4' deep so i need to pull water from the bottom not just from the skimmer.
thanks mike

Ask a Question