Quick bog filler help please.. going to store today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi all. I’m going to buy the materials for my upflow bog filter in a couple of hours.. hoping someone can answer Quickly!
The only thing I can’t seem to find is about the vertical clean out. I don’t understand how it works. It seems to me it would need to be connected to the horizontal manifold but I’ve seen pictures (such as addy1,s otherwise great instructions) that appear to show the pipe just sitting vertically on its own at the end of the manifold but not attached. Also what diameter does the clean it have to be. Thanks.. please hurry lol

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yes, the cleanout is connected to the manifold, terminating above the water level or near if capped. This lets you get a hose down to clean the crud out if needed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Well I put the plumbing together for the bog upflow filter. I can’t figure out how to tell if the water is coming out all the way along or just at the beginning end. ( there’s an oxymoron for ya.. lol ) …,I’ve got it propped up in the bottom of the bog and it’s running to test it out haven’t put the gravel back in yet. Do you think I should layer bigger rocks then medium and then 3/8 pea gravel at the top or just use the pea gravel all the way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Believe it or not it's the furthest end of the pipe that has the greatest flow AT THE START . The water takes path of least resistance. so it flows down the pipe each of the slits is obstructed by gravel. The water flows to the end of the pipe so the pressure starts there and works its way back.

graduating the size of the rock is advised to allow the water more sf for it to work its way through the gravel.

Ask a Question