Quilt Batting filtering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I want to make sure I do this correctly. In my skimmer basket, I am going to cut the quilt batting and place it under the green plastic mat which is under the basket. What about at the top where the waterfall is, do I place some there as well?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Quilt batting clogs VERY quick. I tried using a layer in the top of my Savio and the lid was off in 2 hours. Best to have the water flow over the top of it and let the water flow back into the pond. It would depend on how much particulate you havein your pond water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have always used quilt batting under my reusable furnace filters .Thick stuff goes in the furnace filter and fine stuff in quilt batting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Chumley I switched from quilt batting to Matala media. Quilt batting was clogging up every day and I'd have to clean it. This stuff will last a week or more and does a great job of removing fish poo and gunk. I'm sure it does not remove really fine stuff but I don't care. It does a good enough job to keep my pond clear along w/ my other bottom of the pond filter.

I start w/a bucket w/holes cut into it:
IMG_8683.JPG

Then add fiberglass screen bought at Lowes or H-Depot cut into a circle:
IMG_8682.JPG

Put that screen in the bucket:
IMG_8684.JPG

Then I add the Matala media layered nice and tight and flat to fill the screened bucket:
IMG_8687.JPG

When all stacked in there then I put my hose on top that comes from my pump on the bottom of the pond. I also took a rubber bungie cord and fit it around the top to make the screen netting stay tight. Heavy rock on top of hose to keep it in place:
IMG_8691.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

I also stuck the orange bucket into a black plastic screen planter to make it look a bit better. Then I stuck this fake stone on top cuz it looked better this way.:

IMG_8694.JPG

Pump that the hose comes from w/ a protector thing on the sucking end to prevent fish etc. from getting sucked up and I have to clean that out once in awhile if plant debris or whatever gets stuck and blocks the flow :
IMG_8690.JPG

All the media in that pot gets totally thick w/muck and I just lift the pot out and dump out the stuff on the grass and hose it off w/my handy powerful attachment on the garden hose. Easy and fast to clean!

My helper:
IMG_8693.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've never tried the quilt batting, but have used bridal-veil material sandwiched between buffer pads in an up-flow DIY filter. Coarse veil, then fine veil - both about 20 feet in length. Has lasted for 16 years so far and worked very well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've never tried the quilt batting, but have used bridal-veil material sandwiched between buffer pads in an up-flow DIY filter. Coarse veil, then fine veil - both about 20 feet in length. Has lasted for 16 years so far and worked very well.
@Relic Hello and welcome! Why don’t you go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us something about yourself and your pond. With 16 years of experience, you must have a lot of tips and tricks to share!

Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you use it in the skimmer box it will cause the water level to drop to a point that the pump is exposed. To avoid this clean the batting material often as you don't want this happening during the night.

Ask a Question