R.I.P. my koi named "Al"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Today I saw that my 15 year old koi, which I named Al (along with the other two, Bill and Hillary) He grew in size to be about 20 inches long. The others seem to be healthy. That was the first fish I have lost in about 4 years. I have mostly goldfish.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry to hear, I just lost my best Shiro Utsuri this weekend as well. I know the feeling, hard to say good bye to a pet that has grown on us for so long.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
John, I'm so sorry to hear! Wow, 15 years is a long time to bond with a pet -- even most dogs & cats rarely make it much past that.

Did you have any clues that "Al" might have been ill or injured? Or was it sudden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
st how you feel , as last year we lost one of our two original koi Tiny aged 27 years old , "not bad for a stunted beat up rescue koi mind you" but you grow fond of them dont you ?
Re-check how your doing things if thats not the answer you'll need to give your koi a scrape and check that out under a microscope if you own one ?
#If you dont check out the range on Amazon they are affordable and gve you that extra piece of mind when it comes to sudden deaths like this

Dave .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I don't believe this fish was all that healthy going back to last last year. Things happen in a back yard pond. The water is healthy and through the years, all these fish have been exposed to all kinds of changes - especially when I used chemicals years ago. I haven't used that in many years as the pond seems to take care of itself. I have never seen a lot of fish die in a short period of time, unless I count the heron's trip to the pond. THAT was sudden death. I don't believe I will get into all that much why the koi died.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi John, so sorry to hear about your loss. Was there any signs that the Koi was sick?
Lorraine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
The fish appeared to be a bit sluggish earlier, but the water was still cold after the winter so I was not alarmed. I saw nothing on the fish so I didn't know it was going to die soon. The other two large koi ( the bright yellow "twins" appear to be fine)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I had another visit from Mr. Heron the other day but my new net/frame may have prevented any fish loss. It is possible that the heron might have injured the koi that died. I don't know for sure, though.
Thanks for all the replies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
how sad to suffer loss. So sorry, makes me think of my first pet present to my wife 40 years ago; she passed 8 years ago and the pet goes on. No, its not a koi. I can't seem to make them go past 20 years. I guess parrots are winners if you don't mind being bitten.

Ask a Question