addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, mikeflick. Thanks for the information and welcome to the group!

welcomewagon-15.gif

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. BTW, scarecrows don't work on Southern California raccoons. I wasted a few months with one before I took other measures. Netting made from PVC and plastic fencing stops them. The can walk on it but cannot get to the fish. I see evidence every so often that one has visited (tracks and nets pushed down from their weight).
I have not lost a Koi in over 2 years now.

Reaction score
i dont have problem with racoons here in the uk, however my local pond and garden store has been having problems with otters taking there koi, they have put up electric fence,

Reaction score
Otters are tough customers! I have done alot of work on catfish farms in Mississippi. I had only one option with 200 acres of catfish ponds. Trapping them I averaged 5 per day for 4 days in a row. Then it dwindeled down to a catch here and there. Breeding seasion is upon us and the males will travel, as will mink and Raccoons, looking for mates.
A fully adult otter will kill 40 pounds of fish each day, and only eat the parts he likes, leaving the rest to rot on the shore.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
We have a raccoon problem here and I had been wondering if a Scare Crow would work. At first, I didn't believe a raccoon could possibly move those heavy rocks but I guess they really are that strong. My next door neighbor trapped two of them before moving the trap down the street.

We haven't been here long and didn't put the ponds in, but we're in the process of fixing them now and I have a question about a chicken wire fence. I have to redo it anyway because the guy has it wrapped around rusty rebar and it's situated several feet away from the pond in places and I don't want my granddaughter getting scratched on it. Do you think it would be more effective if it were placed right at the edge of the ponds? It sure didn't seem to stop them the way it is now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use a Scare Crow and I put a large wind chime on a Planter sheppard hook. When the Scare Crow is activated it makes its sweep and hits the windchime. This works for me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Spread a little Cayenne pepper or some kind of hot powder spice on the ground near where they are entering and when they get it on their feet or nose they will lick it off and OH EEE CHIHUAHUA they will run for the hills and learn not to mess w/ your stuff

racoon.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just watch with the wind chimes as neighbors who are close get annoyed by them , but then if you don't like your neighbors oh well .Saw a thing on google about 2 neighbors in a wind chime fight and both where charged by the police for disturbing the peace ,Only problem with hot peppers what if your own dog stepped in it or your cat geeze wouldn't you feel guilty .Raccoons are smart little critters once yes twice maybe third time they will figure it out .Hire oldmarine I have heard about him and his dog and driveway alarm:LOL::regular_waving_emot:LOL::LOL::LOL:I would pay to watch the show

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Sissy,

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but what it all boils down to is that I haven't had a racoon in the yard for some time now. The driveway alarm went off last at about 0300, and I got up to look out the bedroom window and it was the neighbors cat. I'm not concerned about the cat, it's those fish & snail eating coon's that irritate the heck out of me. By the way, the baseball bat still hasn't the privelage of taking out a local racoon, yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:fish::LOL:I would just love to have a video camera when your running out the door with the dog and bat I would probably win americas funniest home videos:lol::lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was looking at your pics oldmarine and was wondering how the new filter you made is working as I am starting my second waterfall on the other side of the pond and want ideas for a filter there I have a tote filter over there but the hose just goes in the top and runs down and then out through a series of holes at the bottom I got a new tote and adapter and want to change the way I filter it as the other works but not that great and I see you are using a spray arm .Does the spray arm clog up .Say hello to MrButtons the attack dog or guard dog .Have to teach my pee wee to do that ,not to sure what a chihuahua will scare away:lol::maybe a spider :fish:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Sissy,

I've been using the new boi-filter now for over a year now and it is working great, better than without it. The water stays clear, and I find that there is a much better balance in the pond. The spray arm does not clog at all, because I have a pre-filter in the skimmer before the water pumps up to the boi-filter. Mr. Button's said to say woof.

Ask a Question