addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't get algae blooms with rain water.

Reaction score
I would just be aware that it could cause a ph change depending on pond size and amount of rain added.
This draws the question, what is the pH level of rain in an area? Next, what ratio of rain to any size effects pH in a negative manner? Also, what kind of extra crap in the water adversely effects water quality, versus just putting some strain on the filter system?

Reaction score
I know a lot of people use collected rain water for their ponds. I was just wondering how safe it is for fish if the collected rain water is off of an asphalt shingle roof. The shingles are only 3 years old, but I was wondering about possible oils / chemical leaching from them. Any ideas? Aluminum eaves troughs and downspouts too.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

You need not worry about such things. If there were any detriment involved regarding chemicals leaching from your asphalt shingles, the EPA and all the nutjob nature protection society people would have been on this like flies on (honey) long ago. The shingles on your home do not leach out any chemicals (to an extent that they would be harmful) to any lifeform. A brand new roof installation? Maybe a little sheen on the water, but I doubt that and I sincerely doubt that it would affect the fish, even sensitive fish (unless they are democratic liberal fish from California).

In California... having sex, changing your mind, playing in the sand on the beach, looking at trees, breathing any air and riding a bike will cause cancer or some malody! Truly! I am not kidding... The state of California has warning labels on the air and the trees and the scenery there! It is all polluted! Especially Hollywood!

DON'T LOOK ETHEL! Too late, she died. Turned into a pillar of salt right before my eyes! ;) ;)

Catfishnut

Ask a Question