JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, originally i had a straight stream, made because there wasnt room for a curved one:
DSCN1966_2.jpg

We then extended the area and brought the fence out another 8 feet, which made the straight stream look funny, so over the past two days I removed it and the plants around it, made it into a curve, and had just enough liner to make it a little wider and deep enough for a few potted plants.

DSCN2787.jpg

DSCN2797.jpg

In the previous stream I had rocks along the entire bottom but they just get too dirty so this time i went 'bare bottom'. I plan to add some water lilies and various other plants to help cover the surface just as I would with the pond itself. Right now I have a few water hyacinth in it.

While beginning to remove the old stream i was pulling out a couple of water hyacinths under a piece of flagstone. I felt the WH suddenly move in my hand and all of the sudden my resident frog jumped out. It was a pretty funny moment because I had no idea there was a frog in my hand. I was a bit worried it would leave after I destroyed its hiding spot but It's sticking around.
DSCN2804.jpg

On another subject, my water lilies have finally began growing! I dont know why they weren't but I'm glad I decided not to throw them out. Instead, I split them and now have two healthy plants.
DSCN2736.jpg

and here are a couple more photos around the pond..
DSCN2737.png
DSCN2784.jpg

Still being fairly new with a pond of this size, its still too cool to see how everything comes together. While I love the shubunkins and comets I have, the original idea was to create a small habitat for local animals and insects to rely as a constant source for what they need. I've still got a ways to go, but its definitely getting there. Toads and the frog love hanging out here. Birds use the stream to drink from on hot days. Occasionally dragonflies will be seen flying around it.... and next year after I plant my native wildflower seeds it should be even better. Hopefully that'll draw in butterflies as well as certain insects that will be beneficial to frogs and toads. I may even double my pond size next spring if its affordable at that time, which would be nice to be able to put plant shelves at more accurate depths, including a 'frog' area that will be shallow enough for the frog to sit on but still be in water.

Thanks a lot for checking out this post! I'm having a blast with the pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the look of your new stream! That is going to look even greater when you get your plants going.

I put in a bunch of wildflower seeds, they attract a lot of butterflies, bugs, dragonflies birds, critters. Just love all the life that is seen.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks a lot everyone!

Becky said:
Did you make the bridge yourself?
That was the original plan, until we found the perfect bridge for sale down the street!

NEW TODAY:
I found out we now have two frogs! Also, one of my Water Hyacinth's now has a flower emerging!
DSCN2815.jpg
DSCN2811.png

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jason said:
Very Cool JB, like your Shubunkins a lot! What did it cost you to build the bridge?
Bought it from an older man up the road from me for $40. Probably could've been built for cheaper but it was the perfect size so we couldnt resist.

Ask a Question