Really confused about water

Dbarr1575

Good with aquariums, new to ponds
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My two cents is the pond is too small for outdoors in Florida. people think that the larger ponds have to be soon much work when the fact is the smaller pond is where the work is. The temperature in a 350 gallon tub can fluctuate so fast from the hot sun that your fish can get so stressed out. Look at it this way when its 60 in the morning and it hits 90 by noon its not a enjoyable temperature change. fish do not do well with ANY quick changes be it Temps or ph or even ammonia.
GBBUD I totally agree with you! Hindsight is truly 20/20. I wish the company that built it for me would have told me that, but he didn't know enough (talked a good game though) and I didn't know enough to know he knew nothing. LOL But here it is, I have it now so I'm going to make the best of it if I have to float ice bottles or zip lock bags of ice, or whatever. I can't afford to expand it right now, but I think I can find a way to make it work.

Thankfully it's supposed to rain today, so hopefully that will cool it off, and for the next few days temp fluctuation is not as big of a spread, worst one is Sunday where it's scheduled to be a low of 66 and next day a high of 89. I'm just really glad I had the foresight to add the sun shades over the pond, otherwise it would be a total disaster. And in another month will be lucky if it gets down to 75 at night. Yippee.

Ad

Advertisements

Dbarr1575

Good with aquariums, new to ponds
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I know I disappeared for a couple of months. I've been researching my issues and mourning the loss of all of my fish. So I discovered that the problem is run off from the rest of the area. I was shocked when I saw how much run off. So now I'm going to redo the front of the pond to raise the dirt part under the liner, and dig a small trench in front of that to keep that from happening. If anyone has any better ideas I'm all ears.

Some other things I've done, got a DO meter kit and have tested the DO twice, it's really great. I also am still going to add extra filtration through the small urn. I am looking to add more current to the water so am still researching the best way to do that. I am now semi-broke but am the proud owner of a thermometer (temp stays right about 82), salt meter, every test kit known to man, a fancy pond vacuum, and some new ornaments. I even have ice cube molds that I can use to freeze pond water to act as a chiller if it comes to that! LOL I have two new umbrellas that shade the pond in the afternoon in addition to the sun shades. I only allow it to have full morning sun until about noon. Right now the PH is high, but I think that's because of all of the rain and the run off problem. Hopefully, solving the later will fix the former.

And most exciting of all, I found some local goldfish breeders (through a reputable LSF) who specialize in goldfish that are acclimated to our very particular climate! Yippee. I have to say the tub they had the fish in at the store was smaller and shallower than my pond with less shade and the fish were doing great. Once I get the run off problem completely solved I'm going to get a couple of these fish and hopefully will have some good luck for a change. They are just regular comets, but I also made contact with a fish breeder about two hours away that has shibunkins that they keep in shallow ponds and who are acclimated to the Florida climate. Hopefully I'll be able to eventually get some of these. The LSF said he would buy back the comets when they get to big for the pond. My goal is to hopefully get the run off problem fixed in the next week or so, then let it settle for a couple more weeks then get two of the comets. I'll have my back up tank cleaned and running just in case I have to take the fish out due to issues I can't see. But the fish store is going to work with me to make sure the water is good. He's very encouraged that I've been able to keep my snails alive through all of this!

Anyway, Thanks to all of you for your help through this crisis and I'll post again once it's done and I have new fishy friends. Stay safe!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Your pond is small for Florida. Do you have rocks on the bottom? If so, I think you would
benefit to remove them. Also, water movement is important, You can use splitters to
have more little waterfalls instead of just one...We have four small waterfalls in our pond.
We never use our big waterfall, as I prefer the smaller ones.

Get yourself an aerator or two is even better, they are cheep only a couple of bucks...
try walmart or a pet store. The fish will benefit from the extra water movement.

Ask a Question