Best idea for really clear water

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have just finished redoing the rocks around the pond and putting the some of the plants back in, I used some pea gravel and foolishly forgot to wash them first, the water was cloudy but the filter has gotten it a little clearer, what is a good way to get it much clearer. I will clean the filter again and see you that works. thanks Ron

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
020.jpg

Quilt batting in a basket with the pond water running thru it. I have an extra pump that I am using right now. You will have to rinse it off a few times but it will get your water really clear.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
thanks for this, my wife is a quilter so I have access to her cut off pieces, and I have an extra sump and hose, will give it a try this afternoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just finished redoing the rocks around the pond and putting the some of the plants back in, I used some pea gravel and foolishly forgot to wash them first, the water was cloudy but the filter has gotten it a little clearer, what is a good way to get it much clearer. I will clean the filter again and see you that works. thanks Ron
Buy a couple of bags of expanded clay. It is lighter than river rock and easier to handle. add it to the same plastic storage box shown. Put foam filter media on top to keep large particles from plugging it And help distribute the water over the expanded clay. It has a huge surface area for bacteria to grow on. It may take a week for the bacteria to take off an cover the expanded clay and make it into an effective polishing bio filter. It will keep your pond crystal clear. If you want to accelerate the bacteria growth onto the clay add a few ml of clean carbon into the pond....vodka. It won’t harm the fish. The water will cloud up a little from the bacteria explosion over the next few hours and coat the expanded clay with fresh bacteria. In a few more hours the water will be crystal clear.

Ask a Question