Rebuilding the pond

Reaction score
After living with the crappy little pond for 6 years (it was built by the previous homeowner) we are finally getting the pond rebuilt. The 2009 Ice Storm wreaked havoc with our yard, trees and pond. We had a tree fall in the pond, puncture the liner and break the plumbing.

So we are rebuilding the pond and adding a patio. This is no small undertaking, the pond was drained, all fish and plants moved into temporary quarters, the cheap black plastic liner has been removed, the carpet underlayment has been hauled to the dump and the pond size increased. What was once a 3500 gallon hole is now twice the size.

We have built a retaining wall for the waterfall, installed a new 60 mil rubber liner and harvested some very nice boulders from an old rock quarry on our farm. The rock placement started April 1st.

The pond volume is about 7200G, the waterfall pump is a 5000GPH, the falls start about 40 inches above pond and will fall in 3 cascades. I am attaching some construction photos and will update as work progresses.

Attachments

• HPIM0020.jpg
    HPIM0020.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 374
  • HPIM0023.jpg
    HPIM0023.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 367
  • HPIM0024.jpg
    HPIM0024.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 432
  • waterfall w: boulders.jpg
    waterfall w: boulders.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 397
Reaction score
No work this week, it's spring break here in West KY and the builder went to Disney World. He'll be back Monday and the forecast is perfect for construction. I can't wait to get started again. My plants are starting to green up in the temporary pond and the fish are picketing for a new home. They're tired of the doughnut pool.

Reaction score
The crew went back to work today and I was there to oversee the artistic placement of the large boulders. When they were there last, I had to leave and they really messed up. So after removing a few stones, adjusting the liner placement and setting one boulder they forgot, we were back to where I left them 10 days ago. In 3 hours time, we set 10 - 12 boulders and completed the large work on the waterfall. Other boulders are being placed in the pond for decorative effect. The skimmer arrives tomorrow and the task of building the watercourse with the small rocks will begin. I will try to post more photos tonite or tomorrow. It's good to see more progress.

Reaction score
Here are the most recent photos.

Photo 1 is the retaining wall behind the waterfall.

Photo 2 is a close up view of the intended water course. There will be 3 cascades.

Photo 3 is an overview of the waterfall taken this morning. 4/14/10.

Photo 4, moving most of the boulders required a backhoe. Some were moved by hand.

UPS will be delivering the skimmer today.

Attachments

• HPIM0063.jpg
    HPIM0063.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 340
  • HPIM0067.jpg
    HPIM0067.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 345
  • HPIM0066.jpg
    HPIM0066.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 360
  • HPIM0065.jpg
    HPIM0065.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 387
Reaction score
Photo 1 - Waterfall and upper cascade overview.

Photo 2 - Upper cascade switchback to lower cascade

Photo 3 - Waterfall filter, more work to do here, still too much plastic showing.

Photo 4 - Final cascade into pond. I hope the moss on the bottom rock survives.

Skimmer gets installed today. grout in cracks and holes and pebbles will be strewn in cascade. Hope to was rocks Saturday or Sunday.

I can't wait to get plants tucked in all the nooks and crannies!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• HPIM0068.jpg
    HPIM0068.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 293
  • HPIM0069.jpg
    HPIM0069.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 334
  • HPIM0070.jpg
    HPIM0070.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 303
  • HPIM0071.jpg
    HPIM0071.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 337
Reaction score
Latest photos, concrete grout work is finished in the cascading water course. I may do a test this weekend.

Contractors spent an hour this morning arguing about pond edge conditions. I gave them 3 options before I had to leave. They did some work and were gone by lunch time. No edging installed, no skimmer installed.

They did stack some rock in the pond edge, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the pond. I will probably redo it this weekend. I have spent several hours with them this past week setting the stones or directing the placement. You'd think they'd learn a little. Their rock work (with out me looks amateurish). Maybe I'm being too picky but I have been planning and dreaming and saving for 4 years.

Attachments

• HPIM0078.jpg
    HPIM0078.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 337
  • HPIM0077.jpg
    HPIM0077.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 299
  • HPIM0076.jpg
    HPIM0076.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 307

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
sounds like you should fire the contractor and finish the job yourself. Might take longer, but you'll get more satisfaction. Either way, it is going to look awesome when it's finished. I was wondering, what do people do when they don't have a pond in their backyard? golf? I think I would have to beat myself with a big stick.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The good thing about rock you can always move them again
I would put the finishing touches on it my self if they dont have the eye to do it

Reaction score
I took the waterfall for a test drive this weekend. I set up the small pump with some 1 1/4" pipe to see what the flow might look like. This pump is rated at about 2500 GPH. I will be pumping 5000 GPH when I get everything finished. It was nice to have the sound of moving water in the backyard again.

This test proved to be a good thing, I found some areas where water was escaping the cascade. The water was running under some rocks and just disappeared. I used some spray foam to plug the holes and it was better. I'll probably have to use a couple more cans before I am finished.

Photo 1 Overview of project. The foreground area will be a gravel patio. We will be putting in some subgrade drainage to take care of some water problems as well.

Photo 2 Looking at cascade from the downhill side.

Photo 3 Standing at the top of the waterfall looking down at the pond.

Photo 4 Looking down at the cascade from the opposite direction.

The weather was beautiful this weekend, I potted some lilies and divided some other plants. I meant to pot my lotus seedlings but ran out of time.

Attachments

• HPIM0086.jpg
    HPIM0086.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 334
  • HPIM0082.jpg
    HPIM0082.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 276
  • HPIM0085.jpg
    HPIM0085.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 346
  • HPIM0090.jpg
    HPIM0090.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 283
Reaction score
its gettin their and its going to look sweet man. It is nice to hear that water running again after u upgrade to a new pond i had the same feeling when we sold out house a couple months ago and i moved in to the new house w/o a pond, but it has one now

Ask a Question