Redoing my lilys

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the helpful advice, I just did the job and hope for some nice green pads soon, blooms would be icing on the cake. I will let you all know how they do. I used the cheap WalMart clay litter, only $4 for 25 lbs. And put the fert. in like the video showed. Used Osmocote.
Barb
Reporting back on my lily redo from July 27. I am just amazed! I took off all the pads, left only the 3 tubers, replanted into kitty litter in a black plastic container with no holes. Today there must be close to 100 new pads, no blooms yet but I expect there may be some soon. I followed instructions you all gave me plus that video. Thank you! Will post a pic soon.
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As I said I would, here is a picture taken today, exactly 1 month after I repotted my 3 little lily tubers into one pan of cat litter with fertilizer added in 3 layers as shown in the above video. I am totally amazed and expect some flowers soon. Next Spring I will repot them each into their own pan. This was a very successful experiment, and done during very hot weather with very warm pond water. My pond is only about 500 gal. but quite deep- 2 1/2 ft - 3 ft. deep. Thanks for all your advice. If I get any blooms soon I will post a pic here again.
Barb
m_IMG_0892.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm about to pot the Lilies rhizomes that have been free floating in my plant pool for several weeks.
I got the oil pans and the natural clay kitty litter ready, I'm not sure I want to fertilize right now and add extra nutrients in the water so I think I'll hold off on that, but do I need to rinse the litter before putting it in the pond? does it cloud the water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Gemma, no I didn't rinse it. Just lowered the container with the litter and buried tubers into the pond very slowly so the water filled the pots very slowly. No cloudiness at all. If I stirred it up, then we know what would happen though. My lilies are growing by the hour, soon they will cover half the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I groom and add fertilizer in the fall, 1/4 cup of osmocote on the bottom of the pans. It has not caused any issues over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I have to tend to my Lilly. Is it better to re pot in the fall or the spring? They are not getting new leaves now as the days are getting cooler and shorter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have done both, either works. I have groomed in the fall, re-potting as I cut off the excess leaves etc. Then don't need to mess with them in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Thanks abby1 I will wait until spring, hope to rebuild the pond then.
So lilies can be cut back below the water line but lotus have to be cut above?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So lilies can be cut back below the water line but lotus have to be cut above?
Yes lilies below water, I cut them back to the tuber.

My lotus I let the leaves die rot and only then do I gently yank, the rotted ones come right off. I don't cut any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Getting lilys ready for winter, do I need to move them to deeper water? or will they be ok as long as they are below the freeze line?

Ask a Question