Remedying My Pond Architecture

Reaction score
Waterbug has been somewhat disdainful of me ever since I admitted this is more of a chore than a hobby for me, or that might just be my imagination, but I do appreciate his input, although I might not always understand 100% of what he's saying. Of course I appreciate your advice as well. This forum has been very helpful and it's only because of the patience you guys show newbies like myself. Thanks.
Imagination. I'm disdainful of everyone. I do apologize if I missed something. I don't get new post notifications. I just hit the "View New Content" button, read some new posts and just respond to those with something I want to think about. I assume I lose track of many threads and forums for that matter. I don't really follow threads. This isn't a social thing for me (obviously), just a little diversion.

As a thread goes in a direction that no longer interests me I'm not as active. Sorry. This one is going where hundreds of threads have gone before and I don't really have much to add. Sorry. I've given my opinion, see no reason to push, and I have no vested interest in which direction you choose. Sorry. Not like this stuff is life and death.

And besides, like I would have an opinion on which submerged media is best...yeah, right.

Mucky's snarky comment on using Coke cans...gee, how about we have a little contest? Fluidized bed using crushed Coke cans or Trickle Tower using crushed Coke cans and go against any submerged media in normal pond conditions, meaning muck is added to the water column. Let's see which converts more ammonia. Kind of a loaded test because it's already be done many times.

Reaction score
I thought the Matala was primarily used as a bio filter because it provides a lot of surface area for bacterial to settle in with large pores for the water to flow through, so it doesn't easily get clogged. Which grade of courseness are you using? And do you have several sheets going across your barrel or how to have the material arranged, so that the water passes through it and doesn't merely go around it?
DJ keep in mind my pond filter system is new and un-tried and un-tested and I'm not recomending anybody copy it, not at this point anyway. but you asked what I was using so that's why I posted it.
It's probably true that many people use the Matala as bio filter media, and of course it would and does work as such, just like pop cans or anything with surface area woud work, but it also works as a mechanical filter. My thinking is that mechanical filtering should be done in stages, with that in mind a skimmer basket actually works as a first stage in mechanical filtering by capturing leaves and other floating debri that might otherwise clog your pump or any other finer filters you have in your system. In my case I have a settling tank that is suppose to capture other heavier debri coming from my bottom drain. From there the water exits near the top of my settling tank and flows into the tank with the 3 Matala filters. Those Matala filters are friction fit and arranged into progressively finer filters with the thinking that the largest one will only capture the large stuff that made it though the settling tank, and the next finer filter will capture the smaller stuff that made it through the large Matala filter, and so on. Having stages like that prevents the finest filter from getting clogged up to fast. I use the same system in my heat pump furnace air filter, I like to buy the expencive HEPA filters to filter our house air and keep dust from clogging the fine radiator fins in there. Problem is those fine HEPA filters are expencive and clog up fast because they are so fine and capture everything. So what I do is put a cheaper coarser grade filter in front of the HEPA filter to catch the big stuff first, thus prolonging the life of the HEPA filter. I can normally change the cheap filter twice before the HEPA filter needs replacing.
Probably none of those Matala filters would work well for filtering out the fine particles you have suspended in your pond, which I suspect are the dead and dieing aglea cells that tend to clump together when they die. I don't have that problem in my pond, not at this time anyway. If it does become a problem I'll probably add some finer filtering material, possibly in my bio-tank since I have lot of room in there and don't think I'll ever need much bio media if any. This is why I went so big with my filter system, to have a lot of room to play. :)
My other reason for using the Matala filters is their rigidity. This helps them friction fit into the barrel and not need any extra re-inforcement to hold them into place, also they should stand up well to repeated cleaning with a hose, or possibly a pressure washer. Other finer types of filter material are hard. if not impossible, to clean and basicly disposable, like furnace air filters.

Reaction score
Mucky's snarky comment on using Coke cans...gee, how about we have a little contest? Fluidized bed using crushed Coke cans or Trickle Tower using crushed Coke cans and go against any submerged media in normal pond conditions, meaning muck is added to the water column. Let's see which converts more ammonia. Kind of a loaded test because it's already be done many times.
Actually the remark was meant to be light humor, but if you took it as "snarky" imagine how many of your comments must come across to people in these forums?
Speaking of which I personally think your post are often filled with a lot of great information and observations, sometimes too much of it. If you already offered DJ a practical solution for filtering the fine particles out of his pond water in one of your previous posts I missed it, and I appologize for that. But perhaps you could offer, or re-offer it as the case may be, the solution in a more simplified format, skipping all the misconceptions you feel people have, and get straight down to a pratical nitty-gritty useable solution to his problem that he could set up and use to clear his pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I understood Mucky's remark as light humor, so let's take it as such. I can understand Waterbug getting a little impatient with newbie questions, and he's provided me with more info than I've had a chance to digest. So thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I'll let you know when I finally get this skimmer box installed and what else it takes to clean up the pond. Live and learn. :neutral:

Reaction score
Actually the remark was meant to be light humor, but if you took it as "snarky"
To me snarky is not that bad a thing. I knew it wasn't meant as mean...but I think there was a bit of a point being made with humor.

imagine how many of your comments must come across to people in these forums?
All. Most are meant as snarky.

Speaking of which I personally think your post are often filled with a lot of great information and observations, sometimes too much of it. If you already offered DJ a practical solution for filtering the fine particles out of his pond water in one of your previous posts I missed it, and I appologize for that. But perhaps you could offer, or re-offer it as the case may be, the solution in a more simplified format, skipping all the misconceptions you feel people have, and get straight down to a pratical nitty-gritty useable solution to his problem that he could set up and use to clear his pond water.
Refuting misconceptions conceptions goes hand in hand with understanding.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I don't follow every post all the way through either
If we can all agree to disagree when we don't agree
will will be sharing some useful information that will help all of us

Reaction score
I don't follow every post all the way through either
If we can all agree to disagree when we don't agree
will will be sharing some useful information that will help all of us
I'd want to agree with that, but I'm just not quite sure what we are not agreeing on??? ;)

Look forward to your updates DJ. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The dead body at the top of my creek (panty hose filter) got bloated like a real corpse, as the water in my pond got clearer and clearer, until I finally decided that I'd better remove the corpse before it burst and bled back into the pond. But I couldn't pick it up without it bleeding filtered pond scum all over the place. It was so thick you couldn't see the rock bottom of the creek. And it all went back into the pond, which is now cloudy again. I guess I should have turned off the pump and let it dry out a bit before trying to remove it. Pretty clear evidence that I really need a filter anyway. I'm really looking forward to getting all that in place, so I can finally enjoy the pond!

Ask a Question