Remote pond thermometer

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Just curious, but why is this your 4th Davis weather station? Were there problems with them or were you simply upgrading?

I have an IR temp thingy (Ryobi) that I've played around with. I should try it, but I wonder exactly "what" it is focusing on (for want of a more accurate term) when it reads the temp.? IOW, is it reading the surface or a few inches below, or where ever the red light hits.....? When I played with it last month when the pond temp was in the 90's, it was reading fairly consistent with what the probe was saying. But neither one is remote. Fun to play with.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 Just curious, but why is this your 4th Davis weather station? Were there problems with them or were you simply upgrading?
One was wiped out during a storm in arizona, 140 mph winds, something flying through the air destroyed it. The second one bought years ago, I still have, put on our place in penna, the third is in the basement, years old I may hook it up to use as a second system. I finally upgraded to the new station just last year a few more giggles and I love giggles

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That storm not only took my weather station, it also took my roof, the plywood sheeting on the roof, then rained two inches, soaked the inside of the house. 3000 plus roofs were lost during that storm.

Three different thunderstorms met just north of my house in phoenix, it was one heck of a storm.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've used that one. But don't recall exactly why I stopped using it...... I do remember that the cable was thin and I had breakage issues [maybe that was it]. Thinking that if I got another one I would reinforce the cable with electrical tape. At the time, I wanted to measure deep and shallow water temps and I misinterpreted the info. I thought I could program it for 2 remotes. But it is one remote and the main reading. Then I bought an additional probe, but I don't think you could use it with the main unit. If I recall, the readings were accurate.

Not a good review for you, but hope it helps.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had that one for a while, something, ,probably me, broke the wire to the probe into the pond. It worked great while it worked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It seems I spoke to soon found ours taking on water and all shorted out, I first noticed it when the display on the base station stopped its readout , at first I thought it was batteries but after investigation it was the transmitter station that was at fault [and it had done so well too;)
However no fear weve ordered a new one , this time weve gone for this one :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TFA-30-3053...504&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+pool+thermometer

It looks to be more compact than our other so there is less for the koi to knock themselves on the display on the pool thermometer has large digital display for better reading, so it can be read from further away .
And the remote end looks quite substatial

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh wicked we are'so exited the new thermometer arrived today[next day delievery]:happy:.
I must admit I'm impressed it has the pond thermometer it also has an external temperature thermometer remote and last but not least we have the base station.
It ismade by TFA Germany [Germany has an exellent record for these type of insstruments].
Interestingly our weather station is made by Ascot of Germany it was a Christmas Present from Vals cousin and hubby Glenn over 6 years ago and its still going strong .(y)
Specs for Malibu pool/pond thermomter:-
*Wireless pool thermometer for pool or pond.
*Water temperature wireless via pool/pond sensor with 100mm measuring depth [transmission range up to 25 m]
*Outdoor temperature wireless via outdoor transmitter transmission range up to 100m[free field].
*Indication of indoor temperature and humidity.
*Maximum and minimum values.
*Dew Point .
*Radio controled clock
* Very simple Istalation , no cables required.:)

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't recommend that unit.
I had it and the slightest bit of moisture on either the indoor or outdoor unit caused it to fail.
It still works, but the readout is unreadable, just a garbled LCD display.
Which one would you recomend for @bettasngoldfish Mitch sadly it appears Amzon doesnnt export my model which is a shame .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It depends on Maria's situation and what information she would like.
Granted, I live in kind of extreme climate conditions, so any equipment I try is usually out of the boundaries that manufacturers recommend.
Factors that need to be considered are:
Temperature extreme values
Distance between transmitter and receiver
List of objects between transmitter and receiver
How protected the location is where the transmitter will be located

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Glad I found this thread. Almost bought the La Crosse unit. Bummer to hear it didn't work for very long.
Looking for a wireless pond thermometer that doesn't float because I would like to know the temperature at the bottom of the pond in the winter. Anyone have luck this winter?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use my davis weather station with a secondary transmitting unit to get the pond temps now.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. I was looking for something a little cheaper. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We simply cannot fault our Malibu TFH pond/pool remote thermometer its so accurate and better still it is just happily plugging away reporting temperatures both air and pond giving us an accurate report .
I glance to my right and I see I have an outside airtemperature of 6.2c and a pond temperature of 8.7c :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question