addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
FYI if you are looking for a remote thermometer for your pond.

My other one died, so I picked up a new one. This one works great. The thermometer is floating in the pond, down the hill from the house, the remote sensor is sitting on the coffee table in front of me, about 15 feet from the sun room windows. It is picking up the remote transmissions beautifully. It also records max / min

I watched the (surface temp) go from 59 yesterday (sun) to 55.4 this am (night temp around 44) our bog cools the water with all the water surface it has.

I like the way this one is built compared to the other one I had. It came from hong kong, made it here in about 10 days.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c07b3d98

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
LOL - I JUST go this one delivered.

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9029/index.php

I'm not impressed yet with it. The outdoor sensor is not "really" waterproof so you have to wrap it in plastic or do something to make sure it stays dry. But It does have a 6' sensor so I get outside air temp, water temp of where ever I put the 6' sensor, and of course on the receiver the indoor temp and humidity.

I had it out the first day and the wireless loss contact even though they weren't more than 50' apart. The house walls and stone pond wall might have been a factor though. I'll have to try a few other placements.

I'm waiting on a second one of a different brand to as well. It will be a floating one similar to the one you have but I think a different brand. We'll be able to do some product comparism!

Craig

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have that one, we use it to keep track of the basement, (furnished) temperatures. I use to have the one part outside, but it never was "happy" lol
This pond one is sending from down the hill, through the walls into the house. It has the ability to have 3 channels receiving if you had 3 ponds or pools

I use a davis weather station to keep track of the rain, wind etc

darn heron just flew in again............geez doesn't it know it is winter and time to head south?

I had the acu rite, it did fine for a season, then moisture started to collect in the lcd window on the floating unit, the water collected around the probe and it died. This new one is built different and is transmitting a lot better than the acu rite did.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah.. I'm worried mine won't be "happy" either. But the new pond is in a different location and I should only have a glass slider between the sensor and the receiver so I'm hoping that makes a difference. I was testing it on our current pond which has a lot more obstacles for the wireless signal. But still... I wasn' that far away.

Craig

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Addy Thanx for starting this thread I just got to get me one of those it'd be wicked in our pond and save me going out to test the water te,perature twice daily especially during the winter to see whats happening under the Polycarbonate sheeting the only other one of something similar tha I've seen floating in our Chairmans pond cost the best part of £100

rgrds

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am pleased with how it is transmitting and receiving. The other one I had to have the receiver right next to the window and only in a few spots would it pick up. This receiver is sitting right next to my lappy, tv near it, computers running and it is receiving the signal with no issues. Our pond, is probably 50ish feet away, 20 some feet below the living room level due to our slope.

Glad I could share with you.

Reaction score
I used to have the AcuRite pool thermometer. Loved to see that little graph every day about how much solar gain and night time loss there was. Unfortunately the floating unit kept fogging up and died outside of warranty.

Currently have a $25 one like this [ link ] Floating unit worked fine for a week or two then died. Replaced under warranty. (three week turnaround though). Working fine so far. Doubt it is cold tolerant like the one from Addy.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't see why it won't survive the cold lol. Looks like a nice unit.

The thing I like about the one I just picked up, the face plate is at an angle, hoping it won't condensate like the flat one did.
Time will tell.

Reaction score
The angled face plate does make it easier to read when you walk up to it. It also looks like it has a larger display, though of course if it faces away from you, you're at a disadvantage then over the flat one ;)

The condensation issue with AcuRite, either had to do with a slow leak (despite careful closing) or temperature swings between daytime/night time, or both. It also had that large piece of metal. Our new cheapo one has done good so far, but is a bit harded to read when you walk up to it. The only reason I think it doesn't support freezing, is that I don't think it said it on the packaging, while yours states it can support a light freeze. I do like the screw cap of ours, as I got tired of fiddling with the screws & gasket on the acurite to dry out the unit or replace batteries.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 Hey, this is an old thread, LOL! But wondering if this thermometer is still working for you?
I bought a Davis weather transmitter with a temp probe. So quit using the other one. With the Davis I can see the temp via the internet.
It is part of my home weather station data.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow- just got finished ordering 2 thermometers for my ponds off of ebay! Same unit as icerabbit has. Will see how well they work. The underwater camera I got from China failed after 3 1/2 months but the company did send a replacement. Guess everybody is prepping for winter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Which one do you have?

@addy1 How did it do up to the point you got the Davis? That's a little out of our price range....

@mrsclem Keep us posted!

I have used 2 different kind that I got from Amazon, but couldn't tell you their names. I wanted dual probes, wireless, digital but couldn't find a reliable one within price range.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 How did it do up to the point you got the Davis? That's a little out of our price range....
I have had davis weather stations for years, after reading Mitch's post about using the transmitter for the pond temperature I picked up one. I am on my 4th Davis station, been using them for around 15 years, maybe longer.

Ask a Question