Removing water feature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I have to admit I got it all wrong. We aren’t gardeners etc but I was certain we could have a water feature. We decided, or I did, that a Finia reservoir would work. Unfortunately I got it wrong as the area where I thought it would work was not a good choice. That part of the garden gets so waterlogged, could have saved money by just having the flooded area. So many problems of flooding etc and at one point the reservoir was floating within the area he had dug out. So we have decided to cut our losses and remove the reservoir and forget the idea of the water feature.
The hole is approx 1 mtr across and around 35cm depth. What can we do to fill the hole. My son in law has suggested a plastic crate/soak away filled with cobbles etc. There will be rockery stones etc on top with some water loving ferns etc. You can tell I’m not a gardener. My husband is now in his 70’s so this needs to be as simple a solution as possible. 2 grandchildren helped this weekend starting to clear the area and they will help more
Any sensible ideas are welcome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you move the Finia reservoir to another location? Perhaps your son-in-law can help your husband relocate the water feature. They are very nice and easy to maintain. They make great water features in a yard. I am having a tough time envisioning the crate/soak and cobbles idea. Could you post an image of the area you are discussing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if it's intended to be a type of French drain? Maybe like a sump pit filled with gravel to direct the water away from the area?

I looked up Finia reservoir - it appears to be a type of Aqua Basin? These are so easy to install, but you are correct - not a good choice for a waterlogged area. I would agree with @Stephen Noble - with a couple of strong helpers and a few hours time you could install that somewhere else and really enjoy it!

Don't be too hard on yourself for thinking it would be good - lots of people assume the wettest area of the yard is perfect for a pond, when actually it's usually the opposite.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some pictures will help tremendously. if the area is completely low all around you may need to build a French drain to keep the area from swimming.

Ask a Question