Retrofit bottom drains.....

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Honestly I do not see why you would retrofit one, just use a pond vac when needed. If you build new then add bd drains then if wanted.

It's more about a matter of time. A pond vac is fine if folk want to spend the time. Bottom drains is not much different than skimmers in that both devices remove debris so you do not have to with other devices.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, that's sorta w

Yep, that's kinda what I'm thinking now, after reading some of the other posts. Think I commented on that somewhere. My DIY skills aren't that successful, LOL!

You really don't have to DIY anything. There are retrofit BD out there that are ready to go out of the box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Help me here please. Does the retrofit bottom drain constantly pull water out of the pond? If so, the pond would need water replacement constantly. Does the water filter and return to the pond? I don't see this in the info I have found so far. I feel like I am missing something here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As in the illustration the water goes from the bottom drain to the vortex which is a settling chamber for the muck. Water then goes the pump and then should go to the bio filtration and then to a UV if using it then returns to the pond.

Ask a Question