Rhododendron problems?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Does anyone have a pond with an overhanging rhododendron and goldfish? My pond (pre-existing setup) is situated this way, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's contributing to problems (it's been a rough first year). I already know rhododendrons are poisonous, what I don't know is if some leaf drop in the water could have poisoned the fish over time.

I'd like to know if there's anyone who's had either a positive or negative experience with this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i don't have any myself but i have sen many a video with rodi's around people ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have thousands of rhodos near and around my pond. And high winds often too. I'm sure many leaves have blown into the pond over time. But for six years I never lost a fish. This winter, however, I finally did. But I don't know if it was a rhododendron leaf that did it. the other five are still healthy as far as I can tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm guessing probably not after 6 years, just grasping at straws. Most of my fish got eaten by a kingfisher last fall in the course of a couple days, before I covered the pond. There was one original fish left and some fry. The fry population decreased over time (there are a lot of newts in the pond that may have eaten them, among others. I realize newts are also poisonous but the newts were big enough that I don't think any of the fish could have eaten them). Over the winter, fry occasionally turned up dead for no apparent reason, at random times not all at once (possibly got too cold? not sure as there were no apparent issues when I checked, they were quite small still). Recently the original fish started acting lethargic. Water parameters were fine so I dosed the pond with prazipro as I did last year with similar issues, but it still died a couple days after. When I examined it, it had a mark on its head like it might have had an injury of some kind, but no other indication. I have looked for surviving and/or dead fry since but have not seen any. Mosquitos are ramping up (already!) so I'll need to restock but I want to minimize problems for any new fish I get of course :/ it was a rough first year in the pond.

Ask a Question