Rob & Amy's Pond

This is our self built pond. The pond is 18ft X 26ft the depth is 3ft at the deepest area with a 19ft stream. It has 3 pumps and 4 bio filters, 1 Bio filter with 22" waterfall and a large skimmer. Approximately 3500 gals.
Reaction score
WOW, this pond has to be in my top 10 nicest ponds I have ever seen list....if I was dreaming of a pond, this is what I would see. How do you grow the cat tails in the water like that? or are those even cat tails?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
WOW, this pond has to be in my top 10 nicest ponds I have ever seen list....if I was dreaming of a pond, this is what I would see. How do you grow the cat tails in the water like that? or are those even cat tails?
Thank you very much for the kind words. The area near the waterfall / stream is cattails, it is hard to see in the finished picture but if you look at some during the build, I made a area filled with gravel and lined with rubber liner to control the growth, because they will take over. Over near the skimmer I did a very similar thing for my mini cattails. Some of what appears to be cattails is actually sweet flag and it is planted in pots.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the kind words. The area near the waterfall / stream is cattails, it is hard to see in the finished picture but if you look at some during the build, I made a area filled with gravel and lined with rubber liner to control the growth, because they will take over. Over near the skimmer I did a very similar thing for my mini cattails. Some of what appears to be cattails is actually sweet flag and it is planted in pots.

Hey im only saying the truth here! That is one very well done pond my friend. Im going to be on the lookout for both mini cat tails and horse tail this summer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just make sure you keep them under restraints as suggested or they will be inside next to you watching tv over your shoulder talal...................and what's w/ the emoticons here.....................are they only good during the afternoon hours or what

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WAIT..............did you say Horsetail talal? I hope it is the non-invasive kind that does not get into your gardens cuz if it's the bad kind that does than your life is over and you have to sell your house and move away to get rid of it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
WAIT..............did you say Horsetail talal? I hope it is the non-invasive kind that does not get into your gardens cuz if it's the bad kind that does than your life is over and you have to sell your house and move away to get rid of it
Sounds like the bamboo that grew into my yard from the neighbors yard. What a pita to get rid of it. I had to dig it out with my backhoe fairly deep to get all the roots. You can see it in my early pictures during construction, now there is a white pine there. Very aggressive stuff.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

Ask a Question