Rocking Pond - Top to Bottom?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know its not recommended but I have been thinking about a way to rock my newly dug pond starting with the coping edge/shelf. I have more than enough boulders to rock the top shelf and I woud like to use what is left on the lower sections of the pond. The only way I can think to do this is to start from the top.

Couldnt I temporarily place smaller cobble along all the shelves below the water level? I will be using all that I have to build some walls inside the pond so its not like I need to move it far after.

OR

Fill the pond with water up to the coping/top shelf, then add the boulders to the shelf?

I guess I could do both: Add the cobble along all the lower edges, then fill with water to the top shelf. Would be easier to then drain the water but could probably place the boulder without draining.

Thoughts?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If you want to start from the top then I would fill the pond, place to top stones, drain it, place bottom stones, and fill it back up. You don't have to drain it, but it would probably just be a lot easier.

you could also just place all of the stones, then take off the top ones for filling, and put them back after it is filled. This way you know how many stones you can put in the bottom after doing the top ring, but you wont put stress on the liner.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you have enough liner to leave slack, in it so no worries of it pulling tight when filled with water and rocked in. My latest addition to the pond a year ago, was done this way, I did set some larger rocks here and there in the pond, but just a few then set the upper edge, which were rocks ranging from 100-3000lbs., had plenty of slack left so the liner couldn’t be stretched once filled.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guessing you fill it before placing rocks on the top shelf?
That's the way I did it. Just stood in the pond on the liner and as it was filling up I tried to fix folds and make it fit the way I wanted then when all full I put the rocks on the ledge that was about 6 to 8" down so it would hide my liner when filled. Then added the top rocks that overlapped the ones below. All went well. I made sure I had a lot of extra liner around the top in case any got pulled down or if in the future I might need to adjust things. Always nice to have that extra lip of a good amount of liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you plan to only rock from the top shelf up? Or is the plan to rock the whole thing but just start at the top?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you plan to only rock from the top shelf up? Or is the plan to rock the whole thing but just start at the top?
Rock the whole thing but start from the top and use leftover boulders on the lower shelves.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like @TheFishGuy’s plan.
@combatwombat he had two ideas: fill, add coping stones, drain OR put on coping stones and then remove. These are all at least two man boulders so dont know if I can do the latter.

Right now I am thinking: I will line the lower edges of shelves with rows of the cobble that I will be using in the pond to build a few walls in the deep section. Then I will fill with water up up to just below the top step or a little lower. I am probably going to need a pair of waders anyway so I will order some just in case I need to get in the pond when we are placing the boulders. Then drain and do the lower sections. Whew....cant wait until the heavy stuff is done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@combatwombat he had two ideas: fill, add coping stones, drain OR put on coping stones and then remove. These are all at least two man boulders so dont know if I can do the latter.

I meant that I liked both ideas. Either should work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But why not just start near the bottom with the less desirable rocks?

To me, the stability of those walls is critical. We started with some of our biggest boulders at the bottom row and then built up from there, but none of the in-pond boulders are less than basketball size. We made sure each level could support the weight of several grown people without shifting or moving before going to the next round. And once they are dry stacked properly and "locked" in place, nothing short of an earthquake will move them.

Using a bunch of small rocks in the pond, to me, is just asking for future issues. If you're going to rock a pond, it needs to be done correctly so it won't collapse or shift. Otherwise I would just do as others have suggested - rock from the shelf up and leave the rest of the liner bare.

Just my opinion -

Ask a Question