Roses around a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I got bit by the garden bug in January and ordered 4 large rose bushes. Absolutely gorgeous. Wasn't sure where I was going to put them but that doesn't usually stop me. It's been SOOOO cold up here in the NE that I was delirious with brain freeze. Now that my brain is thawing I'm wondering what to do. If anyone has roses around their pond, please post some pictures. I have so many gardens, on top of the water garden, that I don't want to create any new gardens to maintain. I have space that I can use for the roses - my sunniest spot actually. Sun isn't so good for the pond, but great for roses! Thanks in advance.

:barefoot:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got bit by the garden bug in January and ordered 4 large rose bushes. Absolutely gorgeous. Wasn't sure where I was going to put them but that doesn't usually stop me. It's been SOOOO cold up here in the NE that I was delirious with brain freeze. Now that my brain is thawing I'm wondering what to do. If anyone has roses around their pond, please post some pictures. I have so many gardens, on top of the water garden, that I don't want to create any new gardens to maintain. I have space that I can use for the roses - my sunniest spot actually. Sun isn't so good for the pond, but great for roses! Thanks in advance.

:barefoot:
nothing wrong with roses near a pond that I know of! Just make sure you can get at them easy. And too, remember IF they ever get bugs/disease, you'll think twice about spraying them because you don't want any of it to reach the water....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Exist rose palustris too...like my knight said, make sure to have space around em to work on when is needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a few mid-size shrub roses near my pond. This one anchors the corner at the top of the waterfall:
rose blooms 02.JPG

You can see its relationship to the pond & path in this view from above:
early summer pond 01.JPG

I also have three of the same rose on the far side of the upper pool as a backdrop. You can see them through/behind the iris:
late iris bloom 02.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Rose bushes grow big. Hopefully the roots wont bother you in 5-6 years.
Like other shrubs, roses come in a variety of sizes. Naturally, it's important when planning a garden to take into consideration the full, mature size of any plant (perennial, shrub or tree) that you put in, to help avoid problems with overgrowth in the future.

In my case, these particular roses max out at about 3' in height & width, even without a hard annual pruning, and they've never caused any problems in the decade that they've been there. Not sure why the roots would become a problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Rose rosette disease is a huge problem in north Texas. I've lost roses right and left over the past few years, as there is no preventative and no treatment - just dig 'em up when infected and throw them out. You guys are lucky...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
damn flowering in nc now im very jealous as everything is brown here but in the summer when your baking i won't be jealous no more

i know you said previously the pond was to fit what was available regardless it works and looks great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
damn flowering in nc now im very jealous as everything is brown here but in the summer when your baking i won't be jealous no more

i know you said previously the pond was to fit what was available regardless it works and looks great
Oh, goodness, we're not quite to rose flowering time yet. Those pics were from last summer. The only things blooming right now are the early daffodils, the winter jasmine & the crocus. But! Spring is definitely on the way....

Ask a Question