Run filter system non-stop?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer, what is the impact when the water is higher? My skimmer has settled over the years and the water comes up a lot higher.

It depends on how much the skimmer has settled. Measure the distance from the top of the skimmer weir opening to the current water level. This should not measure less than 3/4". Any measurement less than this may restrict the size of floating debris that is allowed to pass into the skimmer unit, effectually keeping it in the pond to decay. In some cases where large leaves are involved such as Magnolia grandiflora this measurement really needs to be larger.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Shinmaywa pumps do require oil changes and seal replacements periodically. Never used them for this exact reason, but are great pumps. With these or any other submersible pump, if the water level is not high enough and part of the main pump body is exposed to air the life of the pump will be shortened due to overheating. More reason to re-set the skimmers.

Exactly. With our work schedules it's difficult to clear the skimmer basket as often as necessary to keep the pump side of the skimmer filter at an acceptable water level for the sake of the pump (cooling). To make matters worse, in addition to the skimmer being set too high, the pump wasn't set as low as it could have been into the skimmer housing. Double-jeopardy. I'll be doing some replumbing in addition to resetting the skimmer housings to ensure the static water level stays well above the minimum level for the pump.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That is a beautiful pond.

Reaction score
Before you vacuum clean your pond. If there are leaves and sticks in the pond the vacuum will continually clog. As for the string algae do a search on this site and you will find a lot of good information. As Meyer said don't change the oil. You are looking for trouble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Keep them going 24/7 all year long, even winter
Yes the pumps can run year round even in winter. I built my pond 3 years ago and have run the pumps non stop since. We went through 2 of our worst winters in decades. Two years ago record cold and the first winter my pump/ pond survived record snow. . The running water from waterfall down two streams did not freeze completely keeping the water exposed to air. This kept the water oxygenated under the frozen pond surface. Some will caution doing this as ice formation can redirect the water flow out of the pond. I have not experienced this.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turn all off for the winter, I run external pumps, the bog surface area is so large it would cause issues if run over the winter.
Use a pond breather to keep the water nice for the fish during the winter.

Ask a Question