Run filter system non-stop?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings!

First post, and I'm sorry if it is misplaced.

My wife and I moved into our home last November. With the home came a lovely koi pond, and AFTER we took possession is when we were surprised to find the previous owner left the koi...no forewarning...15 of them. Yes, they're all still alive.

We're a bit like fish out of the water (pun intended) with the upkeep and care of the pond and its occupants, but we're all surviving.

The pond has two Shinmaywa Norus CRXP pumps. We have, almost without exception, been running them 24/7. Is that standard operating procedure?

Also, can anybody identify the make/model of the filter housings we have? I'd love to track down a manual to them as the previous owner was not properly maintaining the pumps or filter housings, and neither were very effextively installed and we're trying to make things right.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! Beautiful pond! Any idea what size it is? And where are you located?

Generally yes, you run your filtration 24/7. But tell us more about your particular pond and we can be more specific.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey thank you for the reply!

And thanks for the nice comment. We feel very fortunate. The previous owner put a LOT of money into the landscaping and exterior features. Not so much inside the house... :)

But we're not complaining. And finding the koi amidst the *thick* layer of decomposing autumn leaves in the pond after moving in was a pleasant if not intimidating surprise...everything takes time and resources to care for well.

We are in Salem, Oregon. The pond is around 4,500gal I believe (roughly a 25' x 17' oval an average of around 1.5' deep? Geez...maybe more like an average of 1.75' deep...)

The fully lined pond is layered with large rock.

One of the pumps is non-operational right now because the previous owner, I think, got tired of cleaning the filter baskets and took them out, so both pump impeller housings were *packed* with organic debris. One of the impellers is broken. I've finally gotten some encouraging hope in getting some replacement parts for the one pump and the supplies to change the oil in both.

It's all been a learning process.

We are awaiting the arrival of our Oase Pondovac Classic to help with the buildup of organic debris...coupling that with conservative applications anti-algae powder to reduce the algae which has recently gone nuts. I've never owned hip waders before but they are my new favorite boots lol.

The koi are surprisingly social and playful...really beautiful creatures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 253

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and the pic is of the skimmer .up where the waterfall is should be a filter .Congrats because that is a nice pond .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that's a big surprise to get without having any idea where to begin. I was so overwhelmed when I bought my house I don't know what I'd have done with the extra work. You came to the right place,yiu have at least one working pump and the fish seem healthy to you. Get it netted out and keep it that way,feed sparingly. If you have well water yiur better off usually because it won't have chlorine or chloramine. If yiu do have city water make sure yiu have dechlorinating chemo on hand and use them appropriately by directions when you do any water changes. For now consistency is your friend, well always really. Get a pond water test kit and do some tests and tell us what the parameters are,be exact. Have fun and good luck,,,,I'm jealous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
It is a beautiful pond, and Im sure you feel intimidated right now, but you obviously have been doing your research and things will be just fine. These fine folk here will help you any way they can.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That appears to be an Aquascape Skimmer. That being said it is logical to assume as sissy stated that each of your waterfalls is a biofilter.
I would hesitate to attempt 'change the oil' in the pumps. If a pump is non-functioning then replace it. Once the seals are broken on a submersible pump, it will take a professional pump technician to repair it properly. Cheaper in the long run to just purchase a new pump. The impeller can possibly be replaced but i9t is importent to use a factory replacement impeller that is designed for the flow rate listed for the pump.
Ease off on the use of algae treatments. They can cause more harm than benefits. Once you have removed most of the accumulated organic debris, the pond should balance on its own and the water will clear
And in answer to your first question. As others have already stated, it is imperative that you operate the pump(s) 24/7/365 in oirder to provide continuous biofiltration.
Very nice pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so, so much, everybody!

I do believe there is a pretty comprehensive looking water test kit in the shed. I'll have a closer look and put it to use.

We are on a well, not city water. ;)

We've been using the algae treatments basically as damage control until we could figure out something to better manage the debris (pond vac is on its way), and get the skimmers properly set (skimmers, not filters...thanks...still getting the terminology down :)). Trust me...I'd rather not have to use anything, but as soon as it started to warm up the string algae went *crazy*. There's quite a build-up of debris. I think previous owner wanted the nice pond but wasn't so much into the maintenance. And as I mentioned earlier, in my uneducated opinion, the skimmers were never properly set. They aren't deep enough into the pond compared to the static water level, so they clog up fast...only about 1/3 of the skimmer basket is submerged.

As far as the pump oil change I'm following manufacturer directions on the oil change, and using only factory parts...in contact with a factory service rep. The oil changes are supposed to be done periodically using 30wt turbine oil and a new filler plug seal. I'm reasonably certain it's never been done. And absolutely using an OEM impeller. The non-functioning pump runs fine, it's just the impeller got hashed because the previous owner removed the skimmer baskets...like, "geez I'm tired of removing leaves from the skimmers...oh, hey if I take the baskets out I don't have to clean them out!" No joke. I had to use a flat-blade screwdriver to chip the cemented leaves out of the impeller housing. I'd rather repair the pump than replace since street price on a new pump is about $950.

So, the plan I'm working on is:

1. Properly set both skimmers
2. Get both pumps running
3. Remove debris with pond vac (rinse and repeat as needed)
4. Enjoy pond

It was cold enough when we moved in I didn't feed the koi anything. Once the ambient temp started coming up a bit earlier this spring, and the koi started acting antsy I sparingly fed them an easy-digest wheat germ floating pellet food. Now it's conservative feedings of a staple food.

Phew! Long post. Sorry. Okay. Back to work. Got a wheelbarrow load of rock removed so one of the skimmers is set down low enough...need to fill back in around it and put it together, then do the same with the next one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what kind of pump and how many gph .I know on ebay they sell pumps at a lesser price .I would never want a pump that uses oil as if it leaks you could end up with major problems

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Curious. Who is the manufacturer of the pump(s)?

In the photo, the skimmer does appear to be set high. When properly set the water level of the pond should be about 3/4" below the top of the skimmer weir opening.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, Shinmaywa pumps do require oil changes and seal replacements periodically. Never used them for this exact reason, but are great pumps. With these or any other submersible pump, if the water level is not high enough and part of the main pump body is exposed to air the life of the pump will be shortened due to overheating. More reason to re-set the skimmers.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When properly set the water level of the pond should be about 3/4" below the top of the skimmer weir opening.
Meyer, what is the impact when the water is higher? My skimmer has settled over the years and the water comes up a lot higher.

Ask a Question