Salt in pond.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Would really have to look at the particular product. I know some medicated salts mix particular probiotics, like KoiZyme, and some bentonite or montmorillonite clay into the salt, but I think there are also always those pond products out there that are just good at selling a worthless product. Those medicated, or some how "special", pond salts actually are quite expensive and all ya can do is trust the marketing on the label, which can be quite deceitful.

Personally, if the goal is to increase salinity, then just get the cheap stuff that works just as good. If ya want to add something like KoiZyme or clay into the water, then get those products specifically.

There might be a brand of expensive medicated salt that is quite effective, but, generally, my rule is to pay attention to what other, more experience folk, are using rather than trusting the label on a product.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard that for a healthy koi pond you should add some salt. Is this true and if so how much and when?
I have a small lake and a couple of my grass carp have white ulcers near their fish bladders,ap[parently I am informed that these may be parasitic growths and the best way to treat them is to increase the pond's salinity level to around 0.02% which should not affect the plants.I cannot catch the affected fish due to the size of the water area without swimming out with a spear gun so I am hopeful putting 4 sack of pond salt and Epson Salts do the trick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a small lake and a couple of my grass carp have white ulcers near their fish bladders,ap[parently I am informed that these may be parasitic growths and the best way to treat them is to increase the pond's salinity level to around 0.02% which should not affect the plants.I cannot catch the affected fish due to the size of the water area without swimming out with a spear gun so I am hopeful putting 4 sack of pond salt and Epson Salts do the trick.

I'd suggest starting a new post if you're looking for advice or input. This is an old thread.

Ask a Question