Second injured frog....could it be my box turtles?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesterday I found a Spotted Southern Leopard frog in the turtle habitat that had an injured back leg. The skin was torn off, and it looked like something had tried to take a bite out of him and semi-missed. I tried to catch it so I could clean the wound, but it was able to leap and got away from me.

Sometime within the past year, I found another frog that looked like one of his back legs was broken and twisted funny. I posted a picture of that one, but can't find it here when I searched. I couldn't catch him either, so have no idea if he survived.

I was trying to think what could be doing this and of course, thought of predators -- but I don't think something like a GBH is going to semi-miss a frog on 2 separate occasions, [and leave all the fish alone.....]. All I could come up with was that the turtles are going after them! Boxiea are more known for eating dead things when they're that big -- mainly going after living worms, bugs, or smaller critters. But, I guess it's possible....poor frogs!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, I think it may be possible that its the turtles doing it. I would expect the frogs to have faster reflexes, but they probably don't see turtles as a threat. That's a very odd situation. I think its time you sit your turtles down and teach them to be nice. (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just like my koi sucking the insides out of frogs and spitting the rest out .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey i know plenty of people who eat fried frogs here :vomit:not for me and they eat groundhogs squirrels and possum and don't want to know what else

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Maggie, I have read this a couple of times. No real answer but a thought. Is there a possibility maybe another frog is attacking? Bullfrog? I just don't think box turtles would do that and I think birds would completely remove the frog if they ever got a hold. I also wonder if it's a small snake that is getting a hold but can't over power them completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I found a Spotted Southern Leopard frog in the turtle habitat that had an injured back leg. The skin was torn off, and it looked like something had tried to take a bite out of him and semi-missed. I tried to catch it so I could clean the wound, but it was able to leap and got away from me.

Sometime within the past year, I found another frog that looked like one of his back legs was broken and twisted funny. I posted a picture of that one, but can't find it here when I searched. I couldn't catch him either, so have no idea if he survived.

I was trying to think what could be doing this and of course, thought of predators -- but I don't think something like a GBH is going to semi-miss a frog on 2 separate occasions, [and leave all the fish alone.....]. All I could come up with was that the turtles are going after them! Boxiea are more known for eating dead things when they're that big -- mainly going after living worms, bugs, or smaller critters. But, I guess it's possible....poor frogs!
Being amphibian Maggie I thought that frogs could rejuvinate a new leg if they lost one when they are tiny froglets, however I'm not sure if they can as an adult .....
It could have been a bird crows have been known to attack frogs and toads for their livers maybe a young heron thats not got the right handling skills , I would have thought that frogs could out hop or out swim a turtle unless it was waiting in ambush under water

Dave

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):

I saw this this morning and thought immediately thought of you. Fast forward to about 1 minute into it... Then tell me the turtle is innocent.
Hehe,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

I saw this this morning and thought immediately thought of you. Fast forward to about 1 minute into it... Then tell me the turtle is innocent.
Hehe,
Wow! Thanks for sharing that video! At least all the tortie got was a mouth full of fur.

Ask a Question