"Sensitive plant"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, they have a good selection, but from what I have heard, they have reduced from what they previously had for plants. I do not know about the species Fountain Man, but I am sure they can assist you with that informaiton. My 9 year old was impressed by it, ( so was the Mom) so we bought it. The leaves were pretty small however, so I would say the smaller species of plant if I had to guess. It is cool, but the Koi love to feast on it for sure. They killed the first one we had, so this time we had to put it in a divider in the pond to keep them from devouring it.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Yes, they have a good selection, but from what I have heard, they have reduced from what they previously had for plants. I do not know about the species Fountain Man, but I am sure they can assist you with that informaiton. My 9 year old was impressed by it, ( so was the Mom) so we bought it. The leaves were pretty small however, so I would say the smaller species of plant if I had to guess. It is cool, but the Koi love to feast on it for sure. They killed the first one we had, so this time we had to put it in a divider in the pond to keep them from devouring it.
That's what they told me. They only had a bucket left. I have this anxiety that someone will get there today and clear them out. However I sent WGG an email asking them to save some for me tomarrow. They told me the bucket was 12$ and unclear as to the quantity of plants. I've got 20$ to spend so I may get a few other plants like Parrots Feather and 4 leaf water clover.

FountainMan

Reaction score
I just bought this same plant in downtown Dallas. Water Gardens Galore 2530 Butler Street. 214-956-7382 http://www.wggalore.com/index.htm
Just got back from Water Gardens Galore with some Sensitive Plant, Parrots Feather, and Frog Bit.

One question, I've never grown the Sensitive Plant before so I don't know much about them. After unwrapping them from the news paper how long does it take for the leaves to open? I've noticed the leaves are slower to close than what I'm used to seeing in Mimosa Pudica (land version). I assume it takes longer for the floating plant to reopen it's leaves? Also today is going to be cloudy as is the rest of the weekend. Does cloudy weather have any influence on the leaves opening?

Thanks for telling about the place. I love those guys. You shall be commended.
I'll post some pictures of the plants when the open.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Glad you found it, my girlfriend was there today buying some other plants. They had lots of parrot feather there, and lillies.
Our took some time to open up, and after a few hour finally opened up. It closes when the sun goes down, and then opens back up when the sun hits it in the morning. Yea, they will open in cloudy, but mostly in the sun. It will spread out and grow all around your pond. We just love this plant. It is attracting honey bees however, not sure what that is about. Never seen them before. We bought some Penny Wort too, and thought it was cool.

Yea, there are a couple of guys at that shop that really know their plants. It is in a bad area, but really a neat little place. I think they also build ponds too. Did you get to see their Koi?

FountainMan

Reaction score
Glad you found it, my girlfriend was there today buying some other plants. They had lots of parrot feather there, and lillies.
Our took some time to open up, and after a few hour finally opened up. It closes when the sun goes down, and then opens back up when the sun hits it in the morning. Yea, they will open in cloudy, but mostly in the sun. It will spread out and grow all around your pond. We just love this plant. It is attracting honey bees however, not sure what that is about. Never seen them before. We bought some Penny Wort too, and thought it was cool.

Yea, there are a couple of guys at that shop that really know their plants. It is in a bad area, but really a neat little place. I think they also build ponds too. Did you get to see their Koi?
It is in a bad area but fortunatly for me the Dart train just opened up a station down the block and here in a few years they will be expanding to Mckinney from what I've been told so I am expected to become a regular customer. My first impression was awesome.

One other plant I asked them about was the 4 leaf clover which they said they sold out of. They informed me they will be in stock in spring which isn't an issue with me. Probably give me time to move things around and propagate and get things better established. A month ago I didn't have much plants in my pond as far as cover. Now I think I'm at my limit. I placed the Sensitive Plant in the most accessible spot in the pond so I could play with them. One thing I did learn today is the first hour or so of getting established they don't move much but after a while the movement becomes faster. They seem to open quickly after closing. I touch leaves one by one and by the time I'm at the other end of the plant the first leaves I touched had reopened so there's plenty of fun out of these guys. Tomarrow it will produce new leaves. Definitly looks healthy.

The Parrots Feather are also nice. I've had them before. 6 plants for 1.50$ was a steal. I've seen prices at a few other places in the area that want 3$ for one plant and other places don't seem to take care of the plants as much. I can tell they have a plant expert because all plants looked healthy.

The Frog Bit was the same way. A handfull for 1.50$ was a bargain. I like these bacause their like mini water lilies which in the much shallower portions of the pond fit in nicely.

I plan on returning in the future as well as spreading the word. They don't seem as busy which is sad. But they seem to be doing well. Barbera said they've been in buisness for 18 years so they're not doing to bad. But more customers is better and helps. They seem to make the best of such a small area.

Also as these are my first Sensitive Plant, how do you propagate them? I'm assuming you can split the spongy floating rhizome which the leaves emerge from being they are rooted along the rhizome. I just don't want to assume anything that might hurt the plant. Does anyone have experience with propagating one of these?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just cut off a section that is a few inches long (better if it has roots) and put it in the water. I keep mine close to the edge so they can "anchor" close to the rocks.

They are tropical, so not sure how/if the plants will survive the winter. I'm in zone 8, so we'll see what happens. First good freeze might be their last, but we don't have accommodations for over-wintering anything inside.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Just cut off a section that is a few inches long (better if it has roots) and put it in the water. I keep mine close to the edge so they can "anchor" close to the rocks.

They are tropical, so not sure how/if the plants will survive the winter. I'm in zone 8, so we'll see what happens. First good freeze might be their last, but we don't have accommodations for over-wintering anything inside.
Awesome. I'm not planning on dividing them yet but deffinitly something to think about in the future.

As far as winter survival I'll use a shadow of doubt and bring them in anyway. This means I'll be closer to them and get more time to mess with them.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Today I was playing with my Sensitive Plants and noticed something that kinda worries me.

[imglink]http://farm9.staticf...895d559d5_m.jpg[/imglink]

Those fuzzy looking clumps on the stem look like something old you find in the refridgerator. Looks like mold or a fungus of some sort but upon touch they feel too hard to be fungal. They have the same shape as the floating tissue around the rest of the plant and I'm thinking they maybe developing floats but can't be too sure. Having never grown these plants before I feel I have much to learn.

Anyone else seen this growth before?

Doesn't seem to be hurting the plant any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Normal, they help the plant float on the surface to help them get as much sunlight as possible.
It's a neat plant for sure.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Normal, they help the plant float on the surface to help them get as much sunlight as possible.
It's a neat plant for sure.
Awesome. I thought my plants were sick. So I geuss pretty soon I'll see little leaves form along the rest of the stem?

FountainMan

Reaction score
Here's a picture of what I have going on.
[imglink]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8298/7804482108_61bcd9d905_m.jpg[/imglink]

The long trailing plant is the floating Neptunia Oleracea and the floating planter I have Mimosa Pudica. When they both bloom the Purple and Yellow flowers will go good together. I figured I'd never have to water the Mimosa being it floats. LOL This will look nice when the plants get more mature. Been allot of humidity lately which is unusual for August but the warm humidity is giving the plants the tropical conditions they crave. So I'd imagine they're happy.

Ask a Question