I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think they are talking about this plant:

Sensitive Plant (Neptunia aquatica) The fern-like leaves close when touched. Plant floats on the water’s surface. It has yellow flowers.

Attachments

• float_sensitive_plant.jpg
    float_sensitive_plant.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, that is it. I think my fish will eat it. As soon as I put it in, they started to investigate it. Later on that day, I saw them start to try and chew off the lower ends in the water. So it may not make it, we shall see. It is really a cool looking plant. Was pretty inexpensive, at 10 bucks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could make a floating plant ring w/ a net across the bottom so fish can't get at it.

Reaction score
Is that related to the mimosa tree? Looks just like it and also has sensitive leaves. Closes when you touch it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Mr Magoo said:
Is that related to the mimosa tree? Looks just like it and also has sensitive leaves. Closes when you touch it.

Yes it is related to the Mimosa tree, has the same looking leaf pattern. It does close when you touch it as well. My 8 year old daughter thinks that is the neatest thing since Hannah Montana or Justin Beeber. :)

One reason I got it was for her to enjoy the pond too, and she does.

Update: I had to take this plant out because the Koi were attacking the poor plant. They were digging into the pot at the bottom of the pond. Pond is completely muddy now from them stirring up base of it and going after the roots. I took it out to hopefully save it. I will have to put some rings around it to protect it I suppose.

Then the question is, are there any plants Koi will not eat that look great, and help clean the water and or oxygenate it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NO lol, some have koi that don't eat plants, but from what I read the koi love any type of plant and digging in the pots.

Ask a Question