"Sensitive plant"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think you still need to have the roots in the water however, it will dry out and die if you don't. Just because the limbs float doesn't mean it is getting water from them. The roots have to be in the water, from my understanding to get the water. That purple and yellow will look great together.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I think you still need to have the roots in the water however, it will dry out and die if you don't. Just because the limbs float doesn't mean it is getting water from them. The roots have to be in the water, from my understanding to get the water. That purple and yellow will look great together.
I ment the leaves thrive in tropical humid climate like the their origin.
The Mimosa Pudica I have growing in the floating pot aren't really pond plants but require really moist soil. they're doing fine too. I moved the sensitive plants away from the fountain so the fountain doesn't close the leaves.

FountainMan

Reaction score
One thing I have learned today is the Sensitive Plant doesn't like direct sunlight. I've got my pond partly sited under a tree and everytime the sun hits the plants the leaves close a bit. When the shade is over them they open wide. I've got the Sensitive Plant in a floating contain after I discovered the fish had nibbled part of the spongy floatation. Can't scold the fish but I was able to locate a planter that had an overhanging rim which allows it to float. I've got both the Sensitive Plant and the Frog Bit in that.

FountainMan

Reaction score
So it's been a week since I got the plants and I've notices the floating tissue that came with the plant isn't doing it's job. and keeps sinking. Right now I've got it in a floating container but as a floating plant I'd think it would be doing this it's self. Why are my plants sinking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Do you have fish

So it's been a week since I got the plants and I've notices the floating tissue that came with the plant isn't doing it's job. and keeps sinking. Right now I've got it in a floating container but as a floating plant I'd think it would be doing this it's self. Why are my plants sinking?

FountainMan

Reaction score
I have a question. This morning I found 2 of the leaves have been broken off from the main plant which I suspect the fish are responsible. But the part of the leaf was broken off was still open and when I grabbed it it closed even though it was broken off. I'm thinking this may similar to how a lizard or geco looses it's tail and the tail keeps wiggling but not sure. So I took the leave dipped the broken part in rooting hormone and placed floating in pot of water but I'm thinking I should place in water logged soil. But as rooting hormone is toxic to fish and other pond life I'm thinking I'll keep in inside for now. Can I get this leaf to root and become a new plant or is it a gonner? Or unknown?

Reaction score
I have a 1500 gal koi pond and I think the Parrot's Feather is too invasive! Last year I had Penny Wort and it kept the pond so very clean even though it is invasive too! Any suggestions for me?

Ask a Question