Should I just be satisfied?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I want the best of both worlds. LOL I want to see the fish but not have the heron see them. Yes, my stream is overloaded with plants, but its a short stream. The pond is in the full sun until almost sunset. I have a smaller pond that was supposed to be the bog but it ended up being too deep due to a design flaw. I have cattails and lilies in that part and a few lilies in the larger pond with baskets of cattails. I have a bit of parrot feather that survived the winter and I am hoping to make floating planters to put it in this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Add some lilies for shade protection in the summer. And, what do you mean your bog is too deep? that just means more pea gravel is needed. LOL Add more plants to the bog, and assuming you have filtration running to the bottom of the bog, then up through the gravel, dumping back to the pond, that should help your green water issue greatly. My first pond turned green initially, but I've not had green ever since. I have, however, had murky water (last spring) and the koi pond takes longer to clear than the goldfish pond. Actually, the goldfish pond has been crystal clear since last summer! I'm a big bog fan, going to increase the size of bog in koi pond (hoping that will make that pond as clear as the goldfish pond ..) this summer. The goldfish pond has more invasive plants in it that grow really wild in the summer (water parsley, water clover, and penny wart to name a few) and totally cover the bog, thus filtering that pond more, plus it's about 1/3 the water surface of that pond. The koi pond's current bog is only maybe 1/6 of the water surface and the koi pond is deeper, so more water to filter.
The UV light may help. I say take a piece of your water line and your UV light to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Menards, etc.) and show them what you have and tell them what you want to do. They will tell you what you need to attach it "in-line". Then, keep enough of the line available (don't cut it off) so in the winter you can use a simple union to reattach the line, and bring the UV in. Then, get out there and show your hubby you can do it yourself! It's REALLY not that hard! The hardest part is convincing yourself you CAN do it, and making that cut. :)

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
My bog actually turned out to be more of a small pond. Right now, my water returns from the skimmer to the bio box and dumps into this small pond and then flows down the stream to a waterfall that dumps to the larger pond. Would adding a bag of pea gravel to the bio box help? It has two filter type pads and then a bag with lava rocks and scrubbies in it. I could get another mesh bag and add pea gravel to the top of the filter pads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
From my experience and what I have, the pea gravel does filter somewhat, but the idea of a bog is that plants are placed bare root in the peat gravel. The water is piped to the bottom of the bog/pea gravel, then makes it's way up through the gravel and plant roots to the surface, overflowing into the pond or stream or wherever you have it flowing. Running water on top of it doesn't do much to "feed" the plants. I could post some photos I took when I built my goldfish pond bog, if you want to see how one is put together. I learned how to do it from Addy.
Another thing I'm noting on your water flow is it sounds like it is VERY filtered by the time it goes into the bog. If you filter all the "junk" out, then you're not feeding the plants. The idea of a fully working bog is to filter the water and feed the plants while doing so. All I know is my goldfish pond is very clear, I could count pebbles on the bottom. The bog becomes totally covered with plants by the time July rolls around, and those plants "eat" up all the poo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fishy, my bogs are not more than 18" deep. They can be deeper, but why, unless you have plants that want lots of depth for their roots. Most of my plants probably don't use the full 18". I know when I pulled the Elephant Ear that was quite large, the roots were not to the bottom. Cattails don't go that deep either, maybe 8-10". So, IMO, why add that much gravel when it's not necessary. :) I don't think Addy's bog is more than 18", but I may be wrong.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CE mine ended up around 2.5 feet deep, mainly because the tractor operator made it that deep before she knew it! The only plant that really sends root down is the rush. Most of the bog plants have shallow roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hey, for those of you that love lilies and pond plants, if you like osmocote fertilizer, they have it at Menards (at least our local one) for 5/$1 packets with 2 oz in them! That packet size is normally I think it said 79 cents! OMG, I got 20 of them, thinking they are perfect size to toss in a paper towel or into the clay when repotting lilies. Also, I bet it's great granular fertilizer for in potted plants, like my petunias. Just thought I'd toss that out there, in case others have Menards. Great deal!

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have used it for everything from roses to house plants. I love it but we don't have Menard's around here :(

Ask a Question