Should I just be satisfied?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have had my pond for a few years now and with the exception of very cold winter, it is always green. The water chemistry is all good and the fish seem happy. So far, I have not lost any to a predator even though I have seen a heron fly overhead...albeit way overhead.

I would really like to be able to see my fish more often than when they come to the top. Should I just be satisfied with what I have. I have tried quilt batting, and increased my bio media. Its just disappointing to try so hard and not see any results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Few questions. What is your fish load ? Do you have any plants? Do you have a UV light? Do you have aeration?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I do have a UV but getting the husband to install it is another story :(. I am almost afraid to clear it up because that may be what is saving them from the heron.

I know my fish load is too heavy. When I built the pond, my good friend gave me first choice of her baby koi. They were hard to resist. I have lost a few over the years and have not replaced any but I am so attached to my fishies, I can't bear to part with them.

My pump turns the pond over twice per hour and we have a stream and waterfall for aeration. I don't have rocks on the bottom and I try to keep the leaves out but that is difficult when you cannot see what needs scooping. I know that the fish don't mind the green water but it would be nice to see the bottom.

My stream is well planted and I have a few lilies and some lotus and cattails in the pond. I am working on getting more plants and recently purchased the material to make the floating planter rings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Maybe get hubby to install the UV light and net the pond to keep fish safe from Mr. Heron? We do get attached to our fish.....I would love a butterfly koi, but am afraid to overcrowd my pond and don't have a QT to separate for 4 weeks.

Reaction score
Agree with Tula, once the water clears up the heron will be right there checking out and eating the bright colored fish :( Trust me, I know. Still fighting the stinking heron!

I used fishing line over my pond.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I designed mine with that in mind. There is no place for the bird to wade in or land in the big pond. My sides are very steep. That is my dilemma. I don't want to sacrifice the safety of my fish for my enjoyment. I would be devastated if I caused something to happen to them.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here is an orange and blue butterfly that is one of my favorites
2014 131.JPG

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
The pond is roughly 5000 gallons with mechanical and bio filtration. The pump is 10,000 gph so I get good turnover. Its hard to count the fish because they are so spread out. As I said, I know my fish load is heavy but my test levels are spot on. pH at about 7.6 with all other levels at 0 last week with the exception of the nitrates which was .25. I added some more bio media and did a small water change and the nitrate level was 0 today.

Reaction score
You have a stream with plants in it? What about a bog? plants have ti be bare root with water running through fir the plant to do most good. Also try Plants Like flag Rush. Rushes have huge root systems and are great for pond control. I am assuming your pond is in full sun? M0re plants the better in my opinion

Ask a Question