Should the pond be in the sun or shade?

Reaction score
There is a large branch from a black walnut tree over the area that I plan on putting the pond. I know that in the fall there will be leaves that I have to deal with so I am thinking about cutting the branch off. However after reading some posts I see that algae will grow if the pond is in full sun. Which would be better full sun or partial sun and shade?

Reaction score
Sun is fine, particularly where you live. I have ponds in full subtropical sun for a few hours (midday) a day. I have no algae problems. It is true that algae can't grow in complete darkness, but they grow just fine in the shade.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
where is "NEW YOUR"? never heard of it. anywhere near New York?
shade can slow the progression of alge but it wont stop it. and most pond plants will require some sun, in varying degrees.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
black walnuts do get nuts and also I was told the leaves were toxic to fish .I think I saw a video on you tube of a guy showing all his fish had died because of it ,a storm caused the leaves to fall in the pond with the nuts .I put mine in sun not my real choice but wanted it for the best viewing from the front porch but shade sails work wonders .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is full sun, no algae issues. Sun from sunrise to sunset. There is maybe a snitch of shade as the sun sets. I made it deep to keep the water cooler, also have waterfalls to help with cooling and circulation.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'll cut the branch off now before I did the pond. Black walnut does kill almost all the plants around it so I wouldn't be surprised if it did kill the fish. It's a nice branch so I'll use the wood with the lathe and turn some small bowls and ring holders out of it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
mgmine said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll cut the branch off now before I did the pond. Black walnut does kill almost all the plants around it so I wouldn't be surprised if it did kill the fish. It's a nice branch so I'll use the wood with the lathe and turn some small bowls and ring holders out of it.
There you go!

In all honesty, when we dug our pond, I thought we had a spot with 80-90% sun. That was based on observations made the previous year. So last summer [pond dig was last spring], it was more like 75% sun, divided between before-noon and after-noon. So far starting out the year with less than that, which I don't mind except that my water lilies aren't doing much. Darn, who knew that trees GROW! ....and get bigger....making more shade.....and making more leaves.... ;)

BTW, this was the only place we could have put the pond. The only difference would have been it's orientation.

Reaction score
I'm in a sun/shade dilemma myself. I'm going to trim back branches, but some are from a neighbor's tree. I've heard shade does provide some advantages including cooler water, and protection from flying predators spotting your pond.

my biggest worry are Lilly pads. I really want them, and only get 5 hours of sun in the early part of the day.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
I think 5 hours of direct sun will be enough for lily pads although they may or may not reach their full potential.
That's good to hear. Yes, at least I might get a couple of flowers. That 5 hours is 7am - 12pm

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lilies in my shubunkin tank get shade from the apple trees, they get around 6 hours of full sun and are blooming like crazy, you should be fine.

Ask a Question