JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For me, the opposite has been true - - External images load lightning fast; always loaded as soon as the page is, but images that are in the filmstrip gallery load slower, sometimes considerably slower.

I also recently inserted an image from the gallery to my Overview page, but noticed it was taking a long time for the image to load when I went onto my Overview page, so I went and took the link I had from a photo storage site and its worked.

I think RobAmy's has been slower since those videos were added. Any page that has more than two videos tends to slow loading way down for me.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a look at your showcase and I think I've found the problem :). It looks like your files were uploaded as PNG files, which aren't able to compress photos as well as JPG files - plus the forum software can't do it's own magic on anything other than JPG to compress them further. I'll work on fixing this today/tomorrow for your showcase and then I'm sure it will work fine :D.

I'll post back once I've converted them and it should be much faster then. :D

If you're able to upload as JPG files in future that would be a huge help, as the forum software can't to the conversion like dedicated photo sites can - they'll load so much faster than way.

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry for the late response. Yes, it does seem to be working quicker now

I use png because they upload quicker for me, but I have been using jpg a lot more lately, so I'll try to keep that in mind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Ian, sorry a bit late. You can do whatever you feel is better for my showcase. I still think a video tab would be nice. Maybe tabs that we can name ourselves like, flowers by the pond, pets by the pond, pond videos, etc. I feel the galley strip can get to long to sit and view all at one time, so if someone only wants to see my construction then maybe a tab for that, a tab for fish etc.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian, sorry a bit late. You can do whatever you feel is better for my showcase. I still think a video tab would be nice. Maybe tabs that we can name ourselves like, flowers by the pond, pets by the pond, pond videos, etc. I feel the galley strip can get to long to sit and view all at one time, so if someone only wants to see my construction then maybe a tab for that, a tab for fish etc.

Cheers, I'll remove the external ones now that they're in the gallery strip, that should speed things up further. I'll see what I can do to get videos on here, I'm hoping that future versions of the showcase plugin (it's a product plugin for the forum software) will include the ability to do these things. As soon as there's improvements on the way, I'll post back :D.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Ian

Just so you know all of my during construction pictures are gone now and not in the galley either. Not sure why. Also the home pages loads 100 times slower now that you removed all but 2 photos. It actually loaded faster will all of them.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian

Just so you know all of my during construction pictures are gone now and not in the galley either. Not sure why. Also the home pages loads 100 times slower now that you removed all but 2 photos. It actually loaded faster will all of them.
Oh no! :( The construction ones aren't the ones on the "planning and construction" tab are they? I've got all of the old data saved if there's a problem, so can revert back with a little work.

There's a new update to the showcase system available as of a couple of days ago, so I'll do a test upgrade and then see if this speeds things up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh no! :( The construction ones aren't the ones on the "planning and construction" tab are they? I've got all of the old data saved if there's a problem, so can revert back with a little work.

There's a new update to the showcase system available as of a couple of days ago, so I'll do a test upgrade and then see if this speeds things up.
Yes I think they where on the planning and construction tab also, I know they where on the home page. Seems like only a issue with the early pond build pictures. There are a few pictures that are still in the construction tab just not the early ones. Not really a big deal, just not sure why. I can always put them back. More for a update for you.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just added this now for you @RobAmy - I used your showcase to test it out, I hope that's ok!

I had a look at the new showcase software update and it had some big changes which would significantly alter how things work, until I can write a conversion tool, I'm holding off on the bigger update - so this tweak should be a good stop-gap measure :).

Ask a Question