Shubunkins go over waterfall and get stuck in skimmer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have plants in your pond? I am not noticing a lot of plants or algae in the pics. Are you using any algaecide?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Beautiful pond!

I have never loss a fish into t he skimmer. I do have the ability to dial when the flow into it. Keep it low.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
correct it does not increase the force . nor will it draw more. the pump only pulls so much. regardless if the door is in any position
yes, the pump draw is the same but since the opening is now bigger with the door weighted down the intake flow is much calmer...Does that make sense? Anyway, the fish are able to swim out easily when this is done....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you to all who have responded! I have tried weighting the weir door open, but that didn’t seem to matter. When I turn the flow down, there is a lot more flow noise coming from the pipes. I have a UV light, so I don’t use a lot of algaecide but I do use beneficial bacteria and liquid barley straw weekly. I have some plants on the upper pond around the edge, but I had a lot of trouble with the floating type. I couldn’t keep them corralled and they would just get tumbled under the waterfalls! The ponds are 3 1/2 ft deep in the lower level and 4 feet in the top pond and I want to say they are about 8x8 ft in length.

Should I wait until next spring to try adding more fish or is it ok to do it now? We are in the 7b growing zone north of Atlanta.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would add inexpensive "feeder goldfish". The pet store workers are usually glad to take the time to catch the ones you like since they are not going to a sure death.

I added 21 feeder goldfish to my new pond last September. They survived the winter and some are as big as fish I have had 2 years longer already.

If you ever get over populated you can give some away.

With your size pond I would get at least 20 or more and add them now!

Once you are sure fish can survive, you can add fancier ones. But I get attached to the plain ones too.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The only time I have had fish in my skimmer was when they were spawning and the female is pushed into it. One time I had three fish in it.
My simmer came with a net before the filter and pump. When I notice a fish missing when I feed, I check the skimmer, let the fish out, and they are fine.
Did your skimmer come with a net?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to try fish again this year. I have put more potted plants into the pond and I’ve tried several floating plants. The pots do well, but the floaters all end up in the skimmer or tumbling under the waterfalls in an endless loop😬. I’ve tried corralling them into a corner, but that didn’t work well either. I’m going to add more pots, but I need some ideas on where/how to place them. Most of the shelves are sloped, so I can’t get a pot to sit on it. The pond is too deep to sit it on the bottom. I’m trying to figure out some way to elevate the pots…. If anyone has ideas on that, I would appreciate it.

Finally, I need to find a less expensive source for fish here in North Georgia. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the floating plants you can use a floating pond plant protector, Webbs sells them online, protects them from fish and you can tether it in place. Elevating the pots I am not so sure about maybe someone else has an idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
myself i would use an Aquablock they can be cut into any shape and secured using zip ties . as far as the floaters and the skimmer 1" pvc bent using some heat a make a loop out 2 feet from the skimmer and on the ends of the pipe once you like the bend cap the ends and glue the pipe with no water in it this will make a floating ring and will keep your plants from reaching the skimmer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Heck I've seen folks use a Hula Hoop covered with a pool noodle as a DIY solution to corral floating plants. Some fishing line to secure it to the spot you want it to stay and voila! Once the plants start to grow you won't even know the hoop is there.

And no algaecide - death for the tiny creatures that live in your pond. And algaecide kills algae which leaves you with dead organic matter which leads to - you guessed it - more algaecide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finally, I need to find a less expensive source for fish here in North Georgia. Any suggestions?
Do you have any of the big pet store chains in your area? We have both Pet Smart and PetCo near us, although finding shubunkins at either of them is pretty hit or miss. There's also a smaller local chain that's better and a couple more one-store locally-owned independents that are good. I would look for something like these stores in your area. $50 for a smaller shubunkin is outrageous!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you have any of the big pet store chains in your area? We have both Pet Smart and PetCo near us, although finding shubunkins at either of them is pretty hit or miss. There's also a smaller local chain that's better and a couple more one-store locally-owned independents that are good. I would look for something like these stores in your area. $50 for a smaller shubunkin is outrageous!
Yep I got mine at Petsmart on sale many years ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only time I have had fish in my skimmer was when they were spawning and the female is pushed into it. One time I had three fish in it.
My simmer came with a net before the filter and pump. When I notice a fish missing when I feed, I check the skimmer, let the fish out, and they are fine.
Did your skimmer come with a net?
y

My skimmer has a plastic basket type affair that catches leaves etc. but there are still gaps where they can get through. I think I am going to try and minimize the depth of the skimmer opening.

Ask a Question