Shubunkins go over waterfall and get stuck in skimmer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had the hardest time keeping fish in my two level 3600 gallon pond. They go over the waterfall and they get stuck in the skimmer. The shubunkins I’ve tried were 5-6 inches. I lost 8 of them to the skimmer. At $50 a fish, I can’t keep trying them. If I knew exactly how to avoid this injury, I would try again. I don’t believe they were sick and the water tests out perfectly. This took place over 2-3 months. They would be happy and eating and then I would find one stuck in the skimmer. My pond store said to block the flapper open, so I did that, but it didn’t help. They do have places to hide, so I don’t think that was the problem either. I’m at a loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you research online, there are many DIY skimmer guards. I used to have large koi, so what I used wouldn't work for a smaller fish.....but there are many options. Best of luck and very sorry for your fish loss.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just responded to your “intro” post! Welcome, again! Fifty dollars for a Shubunkin!

Pictures would be helpful so we can see what the set up looks like. It’s hard [well, it’s hard for me] to visualize just from a description. It’s hard to say if the problem is one with the physical set up and might be equipment related, or if the fish are unwell starting out. Skimmers can be a problem, but it’s the waterfall part that I’m curious about

Fish usually reside in the lower level of a tiered pond, where the waterfall isn’t an issue (though some will pass through the filter system and end up in the top level — it happens).

Since this pond is new to you, how long after you started it back up did you add the fish? Do the fish seem healthy and happy?

Also, what are the number results of your water tests?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, they seemed very happy. Hung out together, ate well. I tried them in both levels. I tried putting a bar across the waterfall so they couldn’t swim over (they still did). We had the pond up and running for about 4 months before adding fish. I used the API pond test kit and all numbers were in normal range. The consultant we had also said the numbers were good. I don’t remember the actual numbers because I quit testing after the fish died. I do have pretty heavy flow going over the falls. I tried turning it down, but it made a pretty loud flow noise in the pipes. The time period for them dying was a couple months and all individually.

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 45

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't even have a skimmer so not sure I know much about it but couldn't you just put a screen before the waterfall to stop the fish in the top pond from going down or if they are allowed to go down then use something like this guy made for in front of the skimmer ?
You would have to use smaller grating for smaller fish. It would clog up w/larger debris that you would have to remove by hand tho but at least no dead fish hopefully.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The usual problem with skimmers is deep water outside the skimmer yet skimmmmmmerrrs skim the surface of the water removing debris before it has a chance to sink . making wa stone wall in front of the slimmer that is only as high as your lowest water level will be. thia way the fish can't get over the wall and into the skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond store said to block the flapper open, so I did that, but it didn’t help.
Hmmm... it seems to me that blocking the flapper of the skimmer open would only make the issue worse. You'd be creating a deeper, faster flow. I've only had an issue with something like this twice and it happened with the same fish right after bringing it home. Luckily, I was able to rescue it from the skimmer box each time and I think it finally learned its lesson. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Did the pond store mean to weight down the weir door? I did that and the fish were able to swim back out because it lessens the force of the water coming in....The skimmer will not pull as hard so you would have to compensate with net skimming by hand now and then but at least none of my fish died. Now that they are big I no longer have to keep the door weighted down. Just my experience....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lessens the force of the water coming in
correct it does not increase the force . nor will it draw more. the pump only pulls so much. regardless if the door is in any position

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m worried about who’s selling you fifty dollar shubunkins. That ain’t right.
Inflation. NDK is selling individual 4.5" shubbies for $45. Then add the shipping. I went with the pond packs which are more reasonable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have several koi to a good home in ct

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just want to clarify my previous post. I inelegantly wrote about a "deeper flow" when what I meant was that the skimmer opening would be deeper, that is, bigger. That would make it easier for the fish to swim in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You sound like a great fish parent trying to keep your fish alive and well.

My goldfish swim in and out of my skimmer. The only times I have found a fish stuck in the skimmer it seemed to be acting sick. But I was never sure if it got sick from being stuck in there for an unknown amount of time or if it couldn't get out since it was weak from sickness.

I do not think the skimmer is your issue since so many people have skimmers that are not killing fish.

How many gallons per hour is your pump? Maybe it is unusually strong?

Maybe start with small inexpensive feeder goldfish and only those that avoid the skimmer will survive to get bigger.

You have a beautiful pond. I would put fish in both levels.

Good luck solving your problem. A solution must exist.

Ask a Question