Sick fish

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just uncovered my pond a few days ago and everything was fine. But yesterday I noticed one goldfish was swimming mostly with its front fins, then was standing on its head at the bottom of the pond and not moving much, I took It out and put it in a bucket and added some salt. I noticed it has some black spots on it. One on each side about two inches back from its eyes. Today it looks much better and it is eating and swimming almost normally. I was going to treat it with potassium permanganate. I have it in about four gallons of water. How much PP should I use and how long should I leave the fish in it? After that I will put it in a container of clean water and see how it does before I put it back in the pond.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Length of time depends on the concentration if you are mixing it yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would be pretty difficult to measure an amount small enough to treat 4 gallons with PP. It would take micrograms.

Here is a link to the calculation from Koiohen.com. it would take 0.030 grams for a 2% solution of PP.

You might need to have an account there and sign in to view that link.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Typically you would mix up a solution of known concentration and then dose that. 30ml of 1g/l solution, to dose .03 grams.

Ask a Question